Author Topic: A new forum board to help new users & relieve experienced contributing members  (Read 24792 times)

hiccup

Hmm, that complete copy of a long existing thread is also not what I would do.
This is a chance to create something new that is much cleaner and conciser.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I haven't really been following this and never got around to writing a proper reply.
But I see the new forum has already been created, so...

My first thought was that it won't help because people are already asking questions which have been asked many, many times before.
It's rarely a case of them not being able to find the information - they're just too lazy to look in the first place, or they make one half-arsed 30 second search attempt before reposting the same questions.
So it could end up just creating admin work for little benefit.
On the other hand, at least it does it provide an easier way to answer those questions, if it means someone can just post a link to the relevant thread.

Is it possible to make it a read-only forum? I think the best use of the new forum is as a reference only, otherwise what should be your handy dandy go-to response to each question will just become another jumbled mess of updates and answers specific to each new user's set up. The order of the questions will also keep changing, as new posts are made in each thread.

If, after reading the FAQ response, people still think it doesn't cover their specific situation then they can ask in the other forums. If enough people keep asking variations of a question already in the guide, that would be an indication it wasn't answered there properly and should be revised or expanded.

As it is, all you're really doing is giving people a new place to keep re-asking the same questions.

FAQ might not be broad enough as a title, based on the suggested topics. An FAQ is usually a series of questions, each with one short, correct answer. But a lot of things in MusicBee can be approached in multiple ways, depending on each user's specific needs. N00b questions about setting up a library etc. would belong better in something with a name like a MusicBee Beginners' Guide which could have more detailed answers or instructions.

(Also there are now separate forums called FAQ and Questions. A newcomer with a question is not going to know which of those is their best place to start.)

Hmm, that complete copy of a long existing thread is also not what I would do.
This is a chance to create something new that is much cleaner and conciser.
Having seen the new FAQ forum, this is what I actually logged in to write.
That first post there about false virus alerts is an example of the wrong way to do this.

The new forum should be a curated list of the most commonly asked questions, with clear, concise responses to avoid it becoming another seemingly random collection of threads that just looks like every other forum. Otherwise, users with questions still won't be able to find the answers they need and end up just posting the same questions again.

Imagine you're a new user who has just downloaded MusicBee and gets a virus warning.
You're smart enough to know that's probably not right, and find your way here to check.
You see a forum called FAQ and decide that's a good place to start.
So far so good.

There's a thread with virus/trojan in the title. Awesome. That's what I'm looking for. Yay me for finding it. I am awesome. *click*
Hmm. The first post is from 2016... How do I know this information still applies to me in 2020 (and beyond)?
Maybe if I read to the end.. Whoa. This goes on for three pages! I don't have time to read three pages.
I'll just ask again and see if someone can give me an up to date answer...

Aaand we're back we started.  :-\
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

Is it possible to make it a read-only forum?

It is read-only.
(well, it should be, could you perhaps test if you can post something in it?)

Only volunteer FAQ board moderators (I see they are titled 'editor') can create and edit posts.
Any forum member that is motivated to contribute so to extend and improve on the FAQ is welcome to request having these rights to this board.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Frankz's version of "Virus Alert" is good, very good, however for a genuine newbie experiencing problems, or a new user simply wanting to play their music library, it could create a whole range of questions relating to terminology and how can they resolve the issue in plain and simple steps, with diagrams...
If that can be achieved in one compact section / page / board, then i recon you have a win-win situation..
Freddy

Zak

• Global Moderator
It is read-only.
(well, it should be, could you perhaps test if you can post something in it?)

Only volunteer FAQ board moderators (I see they are titled 'editor') can create and edit posts.
Any forum member that is motivated to contribute so to extend and improve on the FAQ is welcome to request having these rights to this board.
I wasn't sure if that was just because the one topic was already locked, but you're right, I can't post a new topic there either.
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Obviously I'm a little of the mark here. I'll put the other thread back, if no one has yet.

I'm not sure how a post mentioning viruses and trojans would be more scary here than anywhere else in the forum, through. Especially if it was retitled something like "Virus and Trojan alerts: false positives" and the first post was updated with frankz' message.

I mean, even if all the posts are current now, eventually they will be older and the same issue of "is this current?" would arise. That's why I got in the habit of labeling wiki pages with the version used when they were created or updated.

Anyway, I'm not going to be much help right now so I'll step out.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

Anyway, I'm not going to be much help right now so I'll step out.

We can't do much anyway at this moment.
First the structure of child boards will need to have been setup.

After a structure is agreed on by us we can ask Steven to activate them.
(I briefly looked for it but I don't think we have rights to create/edit child boards)

Then we can start populating them with appropriate articles.
Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 06:17:22 PM by hiccup

sveakul

Steven

• Administrator
I have currently configured the FAQ board so users cannot start a topic but they can reply to one created by a board moderator eg. perhaps they want a clarification on something. If it doesnt work out, I can easily make the board read-only to users

hiccup

I have currently configured the FAQ board so users cannot start a topic but they can reply to one created by a board moderator eg. perhaps they want a clarification on something. If it doesnt work out, I can easily make the board read-only to users

That is what I myself in principle would find undesirable for the board I had in mind.
As I wrote before, in my imagination this FAQ board would be a very different experience from the rest of the forum.
In principle there would be no discussion threads in these FAQ child boards.
Each child board would only contain one well-composed and informative article covering the range of issues related to the child board's title.
Similar to the current FAQ:
https://getmusicbee.com/help/faq/

Allowing replies in each child board might be a good idea to get some wider forum participation so to help improve and built it.
But note that I already did create the following board for that exact purpose:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=33739.0

Each article in the FAQ child boards would have a link to it. (e.g. at the bottom as a footer).
And it would be in the second post right after each principle article with some explanation.
And it would be in the FAQ's 'about this board' board.

So to be honest I am not very enthusiastic about this.

If replies are going to be allowed in all child boards, instead of in the 'contribute to the FAQ' board, it could be made clear that replies are welcome, but as soon as they are evaluated and possibly used to improve the main article, they will be deleted so to keep the board as thread-less as possible.

I am curious to learn if the other editors and interested forum members share this vision that I have for this board. If not, please speak out.
It would be good if all noses get pointed in the same direction on this.
Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 07:58:12 AM by hiccup

hiccup

And to say this in less words:

I would like it if this board gets a lot of edits.
I wouldn't like if it needed moderation.

Steven

• Administrator
I would like it if this board gets a lot of edits.
I wouldn't like if it needed moderation.
Fair enough - I have removed the reply permission for users. It will help keep things clean and on topic.

hiccup

To those invested and interested and trying to imagine how I was imagining things to turn out:
(roughly)

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=33740.0

This is how I was envisioning more of an 'article' approach, contrary to a 'topics/posts' approach that we obviously all are more used to on the forum.
Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:22:03 PM by hiccup

The Incredible Boom Boom

If, after reading the FAQ response, people still think it doesn't cover their specific situation then they can ask in the other forums. If enough people keep asking variations of a question already in the guide, that would be an indication it wasn't answered there properly and should be revised or expanded.

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but another "NOTE" should be added saying something to the effect of, "If your question is commonly asked and the answer is in the FAQ, it will not be answered (or removed)," when a user goes to make a post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common threads could and should be moved from other boards into whatever their respective threads end up being in the FAQ. This could be done by moving each and every thread to their respective FAQ board, or combining threads with the same question into one thread and then moving it (my preference.) The main priority of the new board is stopping the influx of same question after same question, obviously, but cleaning up the other boards would also make things less of a mess.