Author Topic: Storing Rating in music file enabled but Mp3Tag does not show it  (Read 2655 times)

clsven

In MusicBee I enabled in Preferences--->Tags (1) the checkbox "store ratings in the music file" and
"save Mp3 tags as ID3v2.3"

Now I changed the rating for a certain song test.mp3 from 2 to 3 stars

Afterwards I exit MusicBee, then launched the well know tool Mp3tag v2.04 and opened the just change *.mp3 file
Much to my surprise the Mp3tag column "Rating WMP" is empty.

So the rating is NOT stored by MusicBee. I think its only stored in Music Library

Whats wrong?

Maybe the two header fields "Rating POPM" from MusicBee and "Rating WMP" from Mp3tag are different?

If yes: How can I store the Rating in the more general, more often used "Rating WMP" header field (in addition)?
Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:44:26 PM by clsven

Steven

• Administrator
You can see the tags MB has written using the tag inspector which is opened from the tag editor.
Your question should be directed to the author of mp3Tag. Last time I looked it didnt have handling for MusicBee ratings

watdub

FWIW, Wikipedia says "ID3 is a de facto standard for metadata in MP3 files; no standardization body was involved in its creation nor has such an organization given it a formal approval status.[1] It competes with the APE tag in this arena."

Re POPM, ID3 says "Popularimeter: The purpose of this frame is to specify how good an audio file is." (i.e., rating)

MP3Tag uses POPM as the main tag in additon to non-ID3 tags like 'Rating WMP' and 'Rating MM' for Windows Media Player and Media Monkey respectively.

I would suggest MusicBee is doing the right thing using POPM when you check the 'save Mp3 tags as ID3v2.3'.

If you really want to keep Rating WPM, you could possibly use MusicBee's 'advanced search and replace' option and custom tags but that is way beyond my skill levels!

clsven

There seems to be a bug in MusicBee:

When I assign/click a 1-star rating for a song then sometimes a value of

MusicBee|1|0

and other times

MusicBee|64|0

is written.

Why?

A 1-star should generate exactly one pre-defined value and have not an arbitrary value

As far as I can see the first value MusicBee|1|0 is not really useful when trying to convert it to stars

Steven

• Administrator
1 is 1 star
64 is 2 stars
that is the same scale that wmp and mediamonkey use. Its just that mp3 tag doesnt recognise "MusicBee"

clsven

@steven:

Your relationship number<--->stars is NOT consistent

What I found out is the following assignments:

1 point = 1 star
64 points = 2 stars
128 points = 3 stars
196 points = 4 stars
255 points = 5 stars

Hmm I can't figure out the underlying formula.
Lets assume for example

points = (stars * 64) - 64

Then the point values must be

0 - 64 -128 - 192 - 256

whats is different from the observed value points stored by MusicBee

Even if I apply a "special" rule that the minimum must be 1 and the maximum must be 255 the
192 value does not fit into this scheme. Why does Musicbee use 196 for FOUR stars and not 192?

So whats the exact formula to convert the MusicBee value to stars an vice versa?