Author Topic: Navigate library by artist - US$100 donation  (Read 15448 times)

jromeroz

Hi, aside from big congrats on the player! I have only one request: I would like to have the main panel set-up in a way where I can navigate my music library first by artist and then by album from that artist.  The eye candy would be that for every artist there is artwork displayed with a picture of the artist, not the album covers.  Think of the way you navigate your last-fm library, that is what I am looking for.  I have managed to get something similar to work in J.River Media center and Foobar, but those other players have other issues, while MusicBee is 95% of what I want in a player with that exception. Pls if you can provide a fix I pledge to donate US$100 to the project.

Blinghound

+1

I was going to put in a request for this ages ago! Helium Music Manager has something similar to what I would like to see. Being able to browse via artist pictures would be brilliant!

Steven

• Administrator
just show the artwork layout, right click on the header bar/ group by/ artist
it will show the various album covers for the artist (but not the artist picture as you want), and double clicking in it will show the albums for that artist.
but it sounds like foobar and j. river already have what you want.
i have to say its a little insulting to be offering money this way as i dont do this for the money and i only want people to donate if they feel MB has been worth it to them and want to support the project.

jromeroz

Thanks Steven.  I did not mean any disrespect at all, I apologize if I made you feel insulted in any way, it was not my intention.  Thanks for your tips, I already do have it this way, but as yousaid, it only shows the album artwork.  J.River and foobar, as well as Helium, have this particualr chracteristic down but are lacking in many others for me (tight last.m integration for J.River for example).  I do enjoy a lot of what MusicBee has - ASIO support, Flac, ALAC and many other formats, works great out of the box, lots of options, etc. I will continue to use MB and if on a next release you can provide the display I mentioned below, would be an even more pleased supporter of your project. Again, thanks for your reply.

Steven

• Administrator
i'm not that happy with the way group by artist or composer currently works with regards to how pictures are displayed and i like this idea, so its done now. If your music file doesnt have any pictures associated with it that are categorised as "Artist", MB will download artist pictures from last.fm in the background - it will take some time to load the cache (about 3 artists per second) but you can still use the panel while it is caching the pictures
Anyone interested to try this out:
http://www.mediafire.com/?25fd2ss3kagn776

just unzip and copy/overwrite MusicBee.exe where it is installed

Sarge

Awesomeness ..I had been messing around with creating a Artist picture on all the albums I had with multiple albums, and try to set this up like that..but this is great ...

I'm lovin this, thanks Steven  !
Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:11:36 AM by Sarge

Steven

• Administrator
just a fix so that when editing a music file and you add an artist picture after one has already been downloaded from last.fm, the cached picture will now be updated
http://www.mediafire.com/?klyejtkc1eugoy5

Sarge

I noticed only a few pictures came downloaded as 0 k files.....you just delete those and re-start MB and it fixes that.

Nixander

works great...! i really like this new feature :) thank you steve

could you add an option to just show one artist when there are some tracks from this artist in which he features other artists ("artist feat. X") ? Because lastfm doesnt find artist pictures and id would be more easy to play all tracks from this artist  :)

Steven

• Administrator
I noticed only a few pictures came downloaded as 0 k files.....you just delete those and re-start MB and it fixes that.
i've put in some retry logic if the first download fails:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wec763a1tau1ez6

Sarge

i've put in some retry logic if the first download fails:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wec763a1tau1ez6
ok thanks....it only happened on such a few that I manually fixed it already, by just deleting the 0 k ones. and when I restarted, it fixed those. but i'm sure your fix will work for others.

antiPOP

Thanks Steven for this feature, but Artist Artwork are in very low quality..

Steven

• Administrator
the only square pictures from last.fm are 126x126 - the maximum picture size in the MB artwork panel is 150x150
last.fm has larger pictures but they are all sorts of odd rectangular shapes so dont look so good.
You could reduce the size of the pictures displayed or tag your own artist pictures for the bad ones

Steven

• Administrator
i've changed it so it saves the cached images as png files, which will prevent quality loss due to jpg encoding but its marginal. Some of the artist pictures just havent been scanned that well on last.fm
http://www.mediafire.com/?ohh4c9ov6bp4yrt

if you already have pictures cached and want them to be redone this way, delete the ArtistThumb folder and the pictures will be redownloaded/saved.
For the ones that are really bad, as i mentioned you can manually add an artist picture via the tag editor
Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:00:25 PM by Steven

Sarge

http://www.mediafire.com/?ohh4c9ov6bp4yrt

Steven, or anyone. Since using this upgrade, when i restart MB songs are now added to the now playing on each start up. Is there a way to stop this ?
It's like auto-dj is constant on.
Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:40:40 PM by Sarge