Author Topic: Metadata Input Autocomplete - wildcard like matching ?  (Read 1911 times)

alec.tron

Hello.
one thing I would love for a few fields - but have not found a way to do this yet [so if this exists already somewhere, maybe move this to Questions area ?]:

I would love to be able to have automcomplete to match the string independent of position. As is in MB, one has to type the exact beginning of the string one is looking for... alas, for many cases (i.e. 2 to 5 specific tag fields, but I would not mind this to be global [I think]) I would love to have autocomplete be position independent - i.e. from anywhere, not just from the beginning.

i.e. the MIMO based instrument list I posted in the Tag Hierarchy  is a good example:
I would love to type 'Guitar', and autocomplete should be 'offering':
Piano-guitar
as well as
Guitar mandolin
as well as
Guitar

Is this already possible somehow, or is this something others would consider something they'd want (as an option - global or per tag-field....?) as well ?
[assuming MB / query performance does allow a wildcard match behaviour...]

Churs.
c.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Steven

• Administrator
I have made a change to do word matching, however I will see what the feedback is before making this permanent

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip

alec.tron

This is really great!
I was worried we might see a query / automcomplete slowdown, but no discernable difference in that regard for me - but, there are people with much larger libraries...
Thanks for giving it a try - and fingers crossed the majority does like it this way as well (also worth as a fall back option - might be good having this as an option so people can switch between the new word match VS the old startswith autocomplete matching ? [then again, I was one of the advocates of making the settings less cluttered when I started with MB... :D ]).

Churs.
c.