Author Topic: Are custom tags temporary?  (Read 1264 times)

stardot

Hi,

I've made custom tags for some songs, and when I moved those songs to different library I noticed that the custom tags were gone. Is it something I did wrong or is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That depends. Do you have them assigned to an actual tag field, or set as "save to MusicBee database only"?

If the latter, I suggest using a second custom tag to copy them into the files (just to be sure there's no data lost in the process).

You can check what's actually stored in the files using the Tag Inspector.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
If the latter, I suggest using a second custom tag to copy them into the files (just to be sure there's no data lost in the process).
You can also save them to any currently unused tag (assuming you will never need it for its original purpose.) I use "WWW Copyright", WWW Commercial Info", etc.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

stardot

That depends. Do you have them assigned to an actual tag field, or set as "save to MusicBee database only"?

You can check what's actually stored in the files using the Tag Inspector.

Thanks for reply. So a "save to MusicBee database only" tag works only for the current library? I checked using "Tag Inspector" and I did not find the custom tags I made nor their values.
The custom tags values are still in the previous library, but not the new one.

stardot

You can also save them to any currently unused tag (assuming you will never need it for its original purpose.) I use "WWW Copyright", WWW Commercial Info", etc.

Thanks I will consider this.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Just to clarify, any of the fields shown in the list of targets for custom tags will save the values to the files, except of course "save to MusicBee database only". You CAN also create your own tag field in Define New Tags, but as phred points out, you don't have to.

There's more info on the wiki about custom tags.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)