Author Topic: Album Cover storage and rating system  (Read 1683 times)

Irzagald Arde

Hi. Until now the setting "downloaded album cover storage: embed picture in the music file" was enabled by default and whenever a cover would be downloaded, it would not be stored in the file (what I prefer) so I didn't touch the setting. For safety I went and disabled the setting. I am interested is there a way to permanently make musicbee not modify music files?

Also, will deleting library settings ini files (to reset settings) also reset the playcount?
Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:02:20 PM by Irzagald Arde

sveakul

I am interested is there a way to permanently make musicbee not modify music files?

1.  Don't check "auto-organize media files" if re-naming the files is part of what you mean by "modify".

2.  Turn off all auto-tagging in Prefs/Tags (2)

3.  Do not allow replay-gain tagging

4.  Do not alllow permanent volume normalization

The last item is the only process that would alter the actual audio content, the rest only alter the metadata.

The playcounts are held in the MusicBeeLibrary.mbl file, along with almost everything else about your files.  I don't advise you deleting that or any of the settings ini files either, just make whatever changes you want in the GUI.  If you really want to "reset everything", I would suggest just starting over with a whole new MusicBee installation, preferably Portable, after uninstalling the one you don't want anymore.  Make a backup of the old one first though to avoid the "Oops!" factor.  Of course, a backup(s) of your actual music files should always be kept safely elsewhere, regardless of players.
Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 01:32:32 AM by sveakul

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Everything sveakul says. And if you're really paranoid you can make your music files read only, although that can cause weird behavior sometimes.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

pedromeneses

I am interested is there a way to permanently make musicbee not modify music files?

3.  Do not allow replay-gain tagging

Sveakul how do I set this up on MusicBee?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Unless you set it up yourself, it's not on. I believe it's another of the options in Tags (2)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sveakul

Yep, what psychoadept said.  The setting is at the location pointed to in the image: