Author Topic: Empty playlists from wired and wifi sync  (Read 9602 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've used gone mad for a long time and occasionally had weird things happen with playlists but they usually resolved pretty quickly. Definitely seen a few cases where I thought I'd deleted something but it still showed up in the app, or playlists appeared to be duplicated or didn't have tracks (although sometimes it was host a case of a big playlist taking a few seconds to load. But it's always been sorted out in the end.

I'm on Android 9/Pie and syncing to an sd card so I can't promise my situation is exactly analogous. My GMMP version is 3.0 beta 11b. Here's what I suggest for troubleshooting:

* Delete all playlists from the device and make sure that's reflected in the app. (No need to mess with audio files.) Also be sure you check /gmmp/playlists/

" Make sure your scan folder in gone mad is correct (I imagine you'd want the root Music folder)

* Sync from MusicBee. Verify that playlists are present and correct on the device (with file manager)

* See if they've showed up in gone mad. If not, manually run a scan. If they don't appear after that, maybe restart the phone as a last ditch effort. (Unfortunately, it doesn't give as much feedback as it used on to what's going on with the scan, it host runs in the background)

* Assuming they do show up, check playlist contents in the app. Be sure to wait a few seconds for it to load, just in case.

Let us know how it goes.  If it's still not working, you night need to take this to the gone mad developer
Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:22:34 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
What I find troubling is that the playlists are going to the OP's MyFiles folder and not the folder set up in MB's device configuration. I'm also running Android OS 9 and have never seen a MyFiles folder.

I suggest that if there's nothing in MyFiles except the playlist, delete the entire folder. Unless of course, you know you have other apps that use it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
Try M3U8
I'm not sure that would make a difference in this case. It's my opinion that the OP's issue is that for whatever reason his transferred playlist files (not the music files) are winding up in the phone's MyFiles folder. In his settings (screenshot he posted "Settings 2") his destination folder is Music\Playlists.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure either - that's why I said try.  :D
Good point.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

Try M3U8
I'm not sure that would make a difference in this case. It's my opinion that the OP's issue is that for whatever reason his transferred playlist files (not the music files) are winding up in the phone's MyFiles folder. In his settings (screenshot he posted "Settings 2") his destination folder is Music\Playlists.
The playlist shows up as being 12.33kb in size in the "MyFiles" file explorer on my phone.

When I open the playlist in a text editor the songs are all listed.

I'm not sure you're interpreting that correctly.  MyFiles is a file explorer app built into Samsung devices - he never says what folder the playlists are actually in.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure you're interpreting that correctly.  MyFiles is a file explorer app built into Samsung devices - he never says what folder the playlists are actually in.
It's entirely possible I'm misinterpreting that. And I use a Samsung S8 but use a third-party file explorer, which explains why I assumed he was referring to a folder.

@Madmaxneo- a good observation from frankz leads to the question: what folder is the playlist file in?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Madmaxneo

I'm not sure you're interpreting that correctly.  MyFiles is a file explorer app built into Samsung devices - he never says what folder the playlists are actually in.
It's entirely possible I'm misinterpreting that. And I use a Samsung S8 but use a third-party file explorer, which explains why I assumed he was referring to a folder.

@Madmaxneo- a good observation from frankz leads to the question: what folder is the playlist file in?
MyFiles is the file explorer for my Note 10+

Madmaxneo

I've used gone mad for a long time and occasionally had weird things happen with playlists but they usually resolved pretty quickly. Definitely seen a few cases where I thought I'd deleted something but it still showed up in the app, or playlists appeared to be duplicated or didn't have tracks (although sometimes it was host a case of a big playlist taking a few seconds to load. But it's always been sorted out in the end.

I'm on Android 9/Pie and syncing to an sd card so I can't promise my situation is exactly analogous. My GMMP version is 3.0 beta 11b. Here's what I suggest for troubleshooting:

* Delete all playlists from the device and make sure that's reflected in the app. (No need to mess with audio files.) Also be sure you check /gmmp/playlists/

" Make sure your scan folder in gone mad is correct (I imagine you'd want the root Music folder)

* Sync from MusicBee. Verify that playlists are present and correct on the device (with file manager)

* See if they've showed up in gone mad. If not, manually run a scan. If they don't appear after that, maybe restart the phone as a last ditch effort. (Unfortunately, it doesn't give as much feedback as it used on to what's going on with the scan, it host runs in the background)

* Assuming they do show up, check playlist contents in the app. Be sure to wait a few seconds for it to load, just in case.

Let us know how it goes.  If it's still not working, you night need to take this to the gone mad developer

I am very leery of deleting all my playlists from my phone. The last time I did this I could not get any of my playlists to sync at all and had to create a limited playlist using the phone's music player. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I was able to get it to sync the other playlists. Then a few weeks after that I wasn't able to sync any playlists again. I am going to try to make copies of all my playlists (onto my PC) and delete just a few to see if the copies will save the playlist content. If that works then I will go ahead with your idea.

Is 'gone mad' the wifi sync app? If so I don't think the problem is with that but more with the sync in general because I haven't been able to get wired sync to work either. If 'gone mad' isn't the wifi sync app then I have no idea what part of the process it is.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Gone mad is the player, GMMP.

It sounded like you had established that the playlists were successfully being transferred to the phone, so the only place left to troubleshoot is getting them into the player. That's not a MusicBee issue.

Certainly, if it helps, you could copy the playlists elsewhere until you figure out what's happening. But unless you actually get them out of where the player can see them, then you can't establish with any certainty what's going on.  You have to eliminate all variables and test each step by itself
Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:41:50 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes, I understand that now. But what folder are your playlists in?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Madmaxneo

Yes, I understand that now. But what folder are your playlists in?
The Music\Playlists folder. Which is the normal folder for the phone and I believe the default path from MusicBee.

Madmaxneo

Gone mad is the player, GMMP.

It sounded like you had established that the playlists were successfully being transferred to the phone, so the only place left to troubleshoot is getting them into the player. That's not a MusicBee issues.

Certainly, if it helps, you could copy the playlists elsewhere until you figured out what's happening. But unless you actually get them our of where the player can see them, then you can't establish with any certainty what's going on.  You have to eliminate all variables and test each step by itself
I have been using the default Samsung music player on my phone. Are you referring to the 'GoneMAD' app from Google Play? Right now I see the app itself is only a trial.