Author Topic: MP3Gain db level  (Read 8330 times)

Blinghound

Hey Steven and all,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to manually change the level at which mp3gain levels tracks. I think the default is at 89db (based on the mp3gain site), and I have found it to be too quiet (in comparison to other applications etc). What does everyone think about this matter?

Cheers

ferongr

AFAIK using a higher reference level will end up with loud samples getting clipped, or you sacrifice correct leveling by limiting. If you use Windows Vista/7 you can change individual application volumes so they don't play louder than MB.

Another cool feature that would help when mixing different sound sources (e.g. game and music) is the dynamic volume normalizer that just makes all track play at a constant level, so even silent tracks play at normal levels. Currently it can't be used for local tracks, only for streams.

Blinghound

ahhh, I've always been slightly confused about using normalizing via mp3gain (only using tag values so the player plays them louder). Some people claim that no matter how high you set the reference level, it will never clip or distort, because the actual file isn't altered - but others claim adversely.

Thanks for the other ferongr :), I have been using the windows app volume controls already - which isn't too annoying. I was just wondering whether it could be implemented easily, because the GUI version of mp3gain does include this.

Thanks again

Steven

• Administrator
ahhh, I've always been slightly confused about using normalizing via mp3gain (only using tag values so the player plays them louder). Some people claim that no matter how high you set the reference level, it will never clip or distort, because the actual file isn't altered - but others claim adversely.
its true the file isnt altered but the music player still needs to adjust the sound when it is playing which as ferongr says could result in clipping. One approach you might take is to enable the equaliser and the set the pre-amp level up one notch (3db) or maybe 2 notches. You can still get distortion if you put it up too far

boroda

What about selecting track right-click/edit/settings/volume adjustment? This can be done for the entire library or for part of library.

edit: I've noticed that its impossible when multiple tracks selected. Steven, can you add this option in 'Multiple files' tag editor?

Conure

I agree with the OP about being able to set the db level manually.  89db is too quiet.

I ran my MP3's thru MP3Gain and almost all show clipping.  But, setting at 89db is way too quiet.  I don't fully understand all this stuff, either.

Might be nice to have some feedback, like MP3Gain does -  Like a list of tracks and their levels.

I'd just use MP3Gain, but I have lots of FLAC files.

Thanks

PS

Under Controls, there are (4) items:  Replay Gain, Smart Gain, Track & Album Gain.  What is Smart Gain?  Do these work on all files that are played or only on streams?
Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:20:38 PM by Conure

ferongr

The irony is that 89db is considered too loud by many people. The original Replaygain proposal calls for a target 83dB of loudness, and the same target is loudness is recommended by the SMPTE. The 89dB reference level is an artifact from early utilities using that.

In any case, you can use the preamp slider in the Equalizer to change to accomplish the same thing like specifying a target. Since there's no standard to write the target volume in tags, it could lead to inconsistencies or clipping when files are played in other players/devices.