Author Topic: help for elderly beginer please  (Read 856 times)

john findlay462

I am amateur dj and have basic knowledge of this stuff. I have music and lots of playlists stored on an HP laptop 1tb memory on windows media player which does exactly what I want. I have 900gbs of space left and would like to download Music Bee in addition to WMP. Is this a workable idea? I have all the tracks stored on external memory , and still have access to most of the Cd s from which it was copied. Can I drag tracks/albums and possibly playlists from WMP to Music Bee? Would WMP continue to function as normal.? I experimented by starting to load Music Bee on my old laptop,the virus protection warned it contained virus bugs. Is this normal? please keep any replies as simple as possible

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Testing it separately is a great idea. MusicBee has been getting a number of false positives from av software lately, but as long as you're getting your downloads via this site, they're safe.

Running WMP and MusicBee side by side is redundant, they're both music players and organizers. In fact, I would recommend turning off WMP in Windows settings. It has a history of mucking around with music files without being asked to.

In testing on the separate computer, I suggest also making a copy of some of your files to experiment with. That way you can try importing and organizing your files without worrying about messing up your main collection.

Here's a good place to start to answer some of your questions: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Importing
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

john findlay462

Many thanks Psychoadept. Probably my original post not too clear. My 2nd laptop is elderly so is ok to experiment on, my intention is not operate both WMP and Music bee on my main laptop I realise this is redundant usage. My idea is to get music bee operational and then get rid of WMP. You are right that it is , in effect becoming unreliable hence my reason to replace it. Can you see any snags with this? WMP has only used 10% storage .Also can anyone tell me if I can transfer tracks and playlists directly from WMP to Music bee if they are both on the laptop? Any simple to understand instructions would be appreciated. Finally can Windows mess around with Music Bee the way it does with WMP ? You have reassured me my virus protection is only doing its job on the old laptop. I assume it will do the same on the main one.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
There's no need to transfer anything from WMP to MusicBee, except maybe if you have playlists you're trying to preserve. Just add your music files to MusicBee directly.

If there are playlists, see if you can save them as M3U. This might help: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_phone/saving-media-player-playlists-as-an-m3u-file/467cf670-a855-4d53-ad0d-0d88a6e7c67b

Once you've saved them, you can scan them into MB using the scan folders for new files command. Just be sure to include playlists in the settings.
Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:14:20 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
I'll add a heads upu to what psychoadept said. WMP is notorious for messing around with tags. You don't say if your music files are currently tagged or not, but if they are, it's quite possible those tags won't exist when you bring the files into MB. If nothing is tagged then you have nothing to worry about, but I felt it should be pointed out.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here