Author Topic: Running MusicBee Off of Multiple External Harddrives  (Read 792 times)

AlRose

Hey Guys.....

Newbie Here....

I am going to be installing MusicBee today after months of trying to find the best player for my library. I have 2 1tb external drives that are both about half full and I was wondering if I would be able to add files from both or will it only let me use one. I have to keep the drives separate because one is just for Elvis.

Thanks guys!

Al Rose

Zak

• Global Moderator
Hi, Al. Welcome to the forum.

MusicBee will have no problem at all adding music from two different drives.

When you first run MusicBee it will create a 'library' (i.e. a database) which stores the details of your music, and prompt you to select which folders (or drives) to add.

As someone installing for the first time, I suggest trying the portable version which keeps everything in one tidy program folder (although you can save your library folder anywhere). There is a Windows store version of MusicBee but it is far behind on updates of the other versions and tends to only get mentioned here when people have problems with it, so it's hard to recommend.

The other recommendation for those starting out is to make copies of a handful of test albums/folders and make a library using those while you kick the tyres, before adding your main library later. MusicBee won't do anything to change your files unless you ask it to, but like Uncle Ben said, with great power comes great potential to screw things up.
Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:51:51 PM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...