Author Topic: Can't open tag editor  (Read 1092 times)

Yookeekaze

Hi!

I have 2 monitors connected, with different scaling (primary = 4k @ 125%, secondary = 1080p @ 100% rotated).

If I start musicbee on my secondary monitor in the compact view and select something from the playlist it opens the editor just fine, but as soon as I maximize it to library view and the window moves to the primary screen I can't open it anymore (even if I revert back to compact view on the secondary screen). The main window gets de-focused but the editor doesn't appear.

I'm using the windows store version of musicbee.

phred

• Global Moderator
I"d like to suggest getting rid of the Store version if at all possible and replace it with the Portable.

If your issue is truly a bug and Steven can reproduce and fix it, the Store version can not be patched. You'd have to wait for Steven to compile a new Store version and that could be quite a while. Both the Installer and the Portable versions accept patches quite easily. And patches are issued every few days.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Yookeekaze

I can confirm, that it opens correctly with the portable version, although I've a lot of personalized settings in the windows store one and there's an error when importing the settings snapshot so I can't check 1:1.

What I have managed to do is to save a settings snapshot, change "FormTagEditorDock" from "5" to "1" in the INI file (guess work - have not tried other values, 1 seems to work fine), reimport and now my tag editor shows up at the bottom of main library panel. If I revert it to "floating window" it no longer works.

With that workaround I'll happily wait for the windows store version update down the line as re-configuring all the settings is too much of a pain if snapshot import won't cooperate.
Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 02:59:29 PM by Yookeekaze

phred

• Global Moderator
Sounds like progress. Another advantage of the Portable version is that it is extremely easy to move to a new PC. For my own curiosity, why do you want to revert back to the Store version when it gets updated? And a side note, the "current" Store version is three years old (according to the details listed on the Store page.) The number of bug fixes and improvements that have made it to the Installer and Portable since then are too many to list.

Good that you were able to edit the settings snapshot to get the editor to become visible. Is there anything in the Error Log at the time you tried to import it to the Portable? Or at the time you exported it from the Store?

In case you weren't aware, you can save/restore your panel arrangement: View > Import/Export > [Import] [Export] Panel Arrangement.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Yookeekaze

@phred

Thank you for replying. My error with the Portable was installing it into "Program Files", I was getting access denied errors on snapshot import. After moving it to C:\MusicBee it imported all my settings without issue AND my tag editor works in floating mode! So I guess I'll be staying with that version :D Hard to say what the original issue was.

As a side note, the windows store page is not correct, the version number was almost the same - 3.3.7491 (vs 3.3.7491 P on the "portable").

Thank you for the tip about panel arrangement, although the settings snapshot seemed to include those - everything looks the same as before.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the update.

My bad for not mentioning to place the Portable in a non-Windows protected directory. Great that you figured it out.

I don't know where the date on the Windows Store version comes from, but good to know it's more up to date than it shows.

Another suggestion: update 3.3.7491 to the current patch (see my sig for link and instructions) which is .7584 (or greater.) Or even better, patch to 3.4. Yes, it's beta, but what software isn't? It's extremely stable and a good number of forum folks have been using it for many months. And Steven is issuing more patches for 3.4 at this point than for 3.3.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki