Author Topic: How do I set up my library for a brand new installation of MusicBee?  (Read 3271 times)

Nisko

I had to perform a Clean Install of Windows 10 and lost my MusicBee setup - so I'm starting from scratch.  I always had trouble understanding the user interface so I need help setting up one library (step-by-step please).  I've included my last MusicBee folder contents (a brief view).  Could someone help me set this up, please?  Thank you........

https://i.imgur.com/sHELagt.jpg

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure I understand the question. MusicBee doesn't care about your file structure as long as you point it at where the files are.  Or is it something like auto organize that you're wondering about?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Nisko

I went to File>Library>Create New Library and pointed to the contents that I showed in my JPEG - but nothing showed up in MusicBee.

Since that didn't work, I also need to know how to delete what I thought was a new library.

frankz

Your library is the database that holds information about your music files. Your create a library, and then you point it where your music files are and import them using one of the methods described at the wiki.

sveakul

From the image it looks like you previously stored your physical files in the MusicBee Library folder, which actually isn't a great idea.  Keep your audio files somewhere in their own folder, outside of the MusicBee folder structure.  MusicBee doesn't care where they are.  The "library" it makes from them is just a file with data in it about what and where they are.

At this point instead of worrying about how to delete old libraries I would suggest just uninstalling MusicBee and starting over from scratch, this time with the Portable version.  You'll have to re-do your past settings but it does a body good from time to time.  But before you do that, first collect all your music files somewhere, then, BACK UP all those files to another drive or safe place.  When you do the new install, do NOT turn on "auto-organize files".  You can do that later, IF you want to (me? NAH!), after you fully familiarize yourself with what that actually will do.

Nisko

My music files aren't stored in the MusicBee folder - they are stored on a separate drive where all my other data is stored.  All my tunes are in that folder.  So, if I understand you correctly, I should uninstall Musicbee - then reinstall it - but why the portable version?

Then, I would create a library that will point to that folder on my data drive. Where does the importing come in?  Thank you.

frankz