Author Topic: Are ratings always stored in *.mp3 file or in central library? Switch location?  (Read 1793 times)

pstein

Assume I load a playlist and assign a new rating to a certain song.

Is this rating information stored in the .mp3 file itself or in a centralized library file (which)?

Into exactly which IDv3 tag field is the rating stored?

Can I tell MusicBee to switch the rating location from .mp3 tag field to central library file or vice versa?

Peter

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Isn't there a setting in Tags preferences for where to store the rating? You can also rate a track and check the tag inspector to see if it's there and if so what field it's in.
Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:52:02 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

frankz

The setting is at Edit->Edit Preferences->Tags(1)...tag storage...store ratings in music file

The field is Name: RATING / Tag Code:POPM.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thank you for clarifying my typo-ridden post, frankz
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

pstein

Thank you both for the hints.
I found it.

A few more related questions:

How are Rating POPM values mapped to stars?

As I found for an example a value of 128 is mapped to 3 stars.

But whats the general rule?

Furthermore its unclear if I DISABLE the option "store ratings in music files": where are ratings stored otherwise?

Last question: If I change the Rating (and store it in .mp3 file) then the last modification timestamp of this *.mp3 file is set to the current date+time.

Can I somehow tell MusicBee to always keep the original timestamp (when editing only tag fields)?

Thank you
Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:26:49 PM by pstein

frankz

A few more related questions:

How are Rating POPM values mapped to stars?

As I found for an example a value of 128 is mapped to 3 stars.

But whats the general rule?
Google:
https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2018/10/11/using-mp3-rating-tags/
Furthermore its unclear if I DISABLE the option "store ratings in music files": where are ratings stored otherwise?
In your library database
Last question: If I change the Rating (and store it in .mp3 file) then the last modification timestamp of this *.mp3 file is set to the current date+time.

Can I somehow tell MusicBee to always keep the original timestamp (when editing only tag fields)?

Honestly, are you even looking for these things before asking?  It's like three rows below the last place I directed you for a setting.
Edit->Edit Preferences->Tags(1)...tag storage...don't update file modification time when saving tags