Author Topic: Make Filters Optional for 'This Library Only'  (Read 3080 times)

a2a

Would like to request for this to be implemented as a wish list request.

Premise is: for me, given using a different library for different purposes which calls upon files in different locations, the filters become redundant when switching.

I have a library for different family members, but within these libraries I have a filter specific to each of those libraries. When switching libraries all filters remain and you're only really concerned with the library specific ones.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1, would really like filters to be library-specific
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

I would support having it as an option, but not eliminating the current behavior.
Having the same filters available when switching libraries is often very convenient for me.
Perhaps the option for having 'global' or 'local' filters?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I support having it as an option, but not eliminating the current behavior.
Having the same filters available when switching libraries is often very convenient for me.

I get what you're saying, but since making a filter is a once-and-done thing, is recreating filters for separate libraries that big a deal?

Or maybe there could be a place where you could import/copy filters from other libraries, so you don't have to reenter the settings
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

a2a

I would guess as long as it's optional, then all parties should be satisfied :)

I think when you come to create the filter, if there is a check box, perhaps, to state "this library only?" then you'd tick it if you just want it here, else, it becomes global?

Thanks

WannaBee

I support this request. It will be a very useful addition.

marlonob

+1

I have one library for classical and one for popular music. There are some filters, views, auto‐playists, etc. that may be useful in both (those based on ratings, duration, mood, etc) and some that not (those based on genres, album status, release year, decade, etc). For the latter ones, an option to be “Available for this library only” would be terrific (this option may even be available only for those who have more than one library registered).

I think it would be equally helpful if MB would save the state of every library, e.g. each of my libraries has its own set of views, tag needed in the thumbnail explorer (composer for classical, album artist for popular) and some other details. When I change libraries, I have to manually select the appropiate behaviour, and then again when I switch back. That alone has made me think of merging both libraries, but the uses and info that I require from each are just too different…

Steven

• Administrator
the filter dialog now has a setting to indicate the filter is only available for the local library

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thank you!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

a2a

This is fantastic - thank you! Just applied the patches, checked it out and works perfectly - just as one hoped for!

Perfectly implemented - and thank you very much, Steven, for honouring us with this wishlist request :)

a2a

Just to say, this works like a charm - perfectly executed - thank you, Steven (do wonder - out of interest - how you programmed it because it really is awesome, but wahey - thanks again :) )!

Appreciate the wishlist request fulfilment - my gratitude!