Author Topic: A non-small number of questions related to MB layout / customization  (Read 1525 times)

please55

Larger Size

1 - MB doesn't appear to be respecting selection for fields shown or sorting order (or there's an overriding setting I can't find).

For some indeterminate reason, it is sorting by track length.  I can change the sorting as shown, but if I restart MB, it reverts to sorting by track length.  Is something overriding it? Where and why?

Just before making this post, it would also show two columns for track length side by side. Even after changing the fields shown, they would reappear after restarting MB. I don’t know what I did but it suddenly stopped. Still concerning because I don't actually know what's governing these related behaviors and I could trip it again.

[Oddly enough, I found this: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25193.0 but I don't understand Steven's explanation, where the 'Music Library tracks view' is or why that view would be stuck in one sorting order / have duplicate columns.]

2 - Is there a way to deselect an artist / album cover if there is no whitespace?  In the above its restricted to Kate Bush but when no artist is chosen, the bottom panel allows you to scroll through your entire library.

3 - Reading about customizing the main panel, I learned MB saves changes on the fly. What's the best way to make sure you preserve the default settings or is there a reset button somewhere?

4 - Does MB use one layout for the entire app? For example if I change the width of the right sidebar, it is that same width everywhere else in the app, from music node, to auto dj, etc.  Can you save layouts to certain views as you can for the main panel?

5 - Is there a way to lock or hide the entire header in green?  It is too easy to misclick and change the sort order on the fly while using this view.  It's partly the origin of some of the above issues. I had misclicked track length in the Music Library which then propagated to my other filters.
Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:46:37 PM by please55

please55

Larger Size

1 - MB doesn't appear to be respecting selection for fields shown or sorting order (or there's an overriding setting I can't find).

For some indeterminate reason, it is sorting by track length.  I can change the sorting as shown, but if I restart MB, it reverts to sorting by track length.  Is something overriding it? Where and why?

Just before making this post, it would also show two columns for track length side by side. Even after changing the fields shown, they would reappear after restarting MB. I don’t know what I did but it suddenly stopped. Still concerning because I don't actually know what's governing these related behaviors and I could trip it again.

[Oddly enough, I found this: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25193.0 but I don't understand Steven's explanation, where the 'Music Library tracks view' is or why that view would be stuck in one sorting order / have duplicate columns.]

I think I figured out question 1. It seems that main Music Node sets the sort order that subsequent filters inherit. That's what Steven meant after all.  I think it also covers the duplicate column issue.

Just to make sure I understand, I can only have one sort order for track list view that is then used everwhere?  I suppose the same applies to Album Covers and Alubm & Tracks?
Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:52:30 PM by please55

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Just to make sure I understand, I can only have one sort order for track list view that is then used everwhere?  I suppose the same applies to Album Covers and Alubm & Tracks?

It's been a while since I experimented extensively with views, but I believe all nodes retain their own view/sorting (Music, Inbox, Audiobooks, etc). However, within any node, it will retain the same settings for Track Details, *with the exception* that you can also assign saved views to library filters. Yes, it gets kinda complicated.

But the long and short of it is, to make permanent changes to the track detail view, you have to switch into track detail mode first.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

The Incredible Boom Boom

3 - Reading about customizing the main panel, I learned MB saves changes on the fly. What's the best way to make sure you preserve the default settings or is there a reset button somewhere?

Right click on the tab you're on and you can save custom layouts.

4 - Does MB use one layout for the entire app? For example if I change the width of the right sidebar, it is that same width everywhere else in the app, from music node, to auto dj, etc.

Nope and nope, if it's saved under a different layout.

5 - Is there a way to lock or hide the entire header in green?  It is too easy to misclick and change the sort order on the fly while using this view.  It's partly the origin of some of the above issues. I had misclicked track length in the Music Library which then propagated to my other filters.

Would be a good wishlist request, actually. I too accidentally tend to do this.

please55

4 - Does MB use one layout for the entire app? For example if I change the width of the right sidebar, it is that same width everywhere else in the app, from music node, to auto dj, etc.

Nope and nope, if it's saved under a different layout.

:-\

Thanks. So how do I do that? In the above, if I change the width of the right sidebar (contains album art, track list & lyrics), its the same everywhere (inbox, history, podcasts, etc).  How do I save / enable separate layouts?

The Incredible Boom Boom

Thanks. So how do I do that? In the above, if I change the width of the right sidebar (contains album art, track list & lyrics), its the same everywhere (inbox, history, podcasts, etc).  How do I save / enable separate layouts?

Right click on the tab you're on and you can save custom layouts.

please55

DOH. So sorry, I was thinking of the column header not the tabs at the top. Can't believe I  never saw that option while playing around.

Just to make sure I understand, I can only have one sort order for track list view that is then used everwhere?  I suppose the same applies to Album Covers and Alubm & Tracks?

It's been a while since I experimented extensively with views, but I believe all nodes retain their own view/sorting (Music, Inbox, Audiobooks, etc). However, within any node, it will retain the same settings for Track Details, *with the exception* that you can also assign saved views to library filters. Yes, it gets kinda complicated.

But the long and short of it is, to make permanent changes to the track detail view, you have to switch into track detail mode first.

I'm sort of making sense of it but ngl it still feels like guesswork. I will start with a new portable MB and go from there. Thanks!