Author Topic: Suggestions for self-edited lyrics! (Please)  (Read 3751 times)

heyman111

I sync lyrics manually a lot. But there's an annoying problem I have.
The way I want to sync my lyircs is that syncs are to be timestamped where the singer sings. However, most songs do not start with a singer singing immediately, so the first line is always highlighted!
In this case MusicBee is problematic because it always highlights the absolute first line, no matter if it's tagged at four minutes.

My idea is to have an option to make MB have an "invisible" first line that doesn't highlight anything at [0:00.000], and moves down to the line which is where the user-edited lines start.

Example (how it is now, notice how it's highlighted immediately):

How it should be (my suggestion, nothing is highlighted until the time of the line with text arrives):

I achieved this by using an invisible character.

There's nothing else I'd want on MB. This is pretty much the only main issue, and to have it dealt with would be a godsent.
Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 08:51:17 PM by biggy_wayn

heyman111

Awesome to see support for this.
Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:14:17 PM by biggy_wayn

Steven

• Administrator
i have changed it so the first line when indexed to 0 does not bold highlight

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

I might take this out if there is negative feedback

heyman111

I might take this out if there is negative feedback

It seems a bit inconsistent on my end, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.
Here it works:

Here it doesnt work:

Edit: I've done even more testing and it seems even more inconsistent. I tried deleting the [0:00.000] timestamp from the first song, retype it manually and it doesn't work. I copied the [0:00.000] from another song where it did work onto the song, and now it works. I have no idea what's going on.
Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 01:17:28 PM by biggy_wayn

Steven

• Administrator
I have made a small change that might work better

Zak

• Global Moderator
I've just played with the synchronised lyrics for the first time and it's really nifty. Nice work. :D
Using 3.4.7547 P

My idea is to have an option to make MB have an "invisible" first line that doesn't highlight anything at [0:00.000], and moves down to the line which is where the user-edited lines start.

I might be missing something obvious, but why do you need the empty 0:00.000 line at all?
Why not just make MusicBee hold off on highlighting anything until the timestamp of the first lyric is reached?  :-\

On a similar theme to this request, the last lyric remains highlighted until the end of the track.
What about turning off (or fading out) the highlighting after, say 10 seconds, so it isn't highlighted for the entirety of a 30+ second outro or fade out.
It would also be a visual indicator that there are no more upcoming lyrics.

I thought this could apply mid-song too, so that a lyric doesn't stay highlighted all the way through a long break or instrumental, but there's a case to be made for the highlighting to remain so you know where to come back in after that instrumental ends.

-Edit-
More playing = more ideas.

First, I realised an easy way to fix the last sung lyric being highlighted during an instrumental is to just insert an extra timestamped line like [Guitar instrumental], which is probably a good thing to do anyway.

Secondly, instead of my suggestion that highlighting be turned off at the end of the track, what if MusicBee read an empty timestamped line as an instruction to turn off any highlighting? (actually just highlighting the empty line to achieve the same effect)
This would allow users to have complete control over when highlighting was removed, both at the end of the track and in the middle if they wanted to.

e.g.
[3:35.487]You've got the light you can feel it on your back
[3:38.367]A light you can feel it on your back
[3:41.487]Your jigsaw falling into place
[3:46.487]

would prevent the last lyric being highlighted for the 20-second outro to the OP's same Radiohead song.

Blank lines in the lyrics without a timestamp would still display a blank line to allow for separating verses from choruses etc.
Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:52:29 PM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...

heyman111

On a similar theme to this request, the last lyric remains highlighted until the end of the track.
What about turning off (or fading out) the highlighting after, say 10 seconds, so it isn't highlighted for the entirety of a 30+ second outro or fade out.
It would also be a visual indicator that there are no more upcoming lyrics.

I thought this could apply mid-song too, so that a lyric doesn't stay highlighted all the way through a long break or instrumental, but there's a case to be made for the highlighting to remain so you know where to come back in after that instrumental ends.
[See edit below for further thoughts on this]

You can already do this: No highlighting in middle lyric(s) and the last lyric can be done by simply making an empty space and timestamp. Just have an empty line and timestamp it when the singer stops singing.

I might be missing something obvious, but why do you need the empty 0:00.000 line at all?
Why not just make MusicBee hold off on highlighting anything until the timestamp of the first lyric is reached?  :-\

Yep, totally agreed, and it would solve any negative feedback people would have as it wouldn't affect them anymore. That was my idea but I don't think I got it across very well. It also solves the annoyance of constantly typing [0:00.000] in every single .lrc file. Or maybe we could have an [inv] tag that just acts as a non-highlighted empty text.

No offense but a lot of your suggestions deserve their own thread imo, so that we can discuss them deeper. But your point about not needing 0:00.000 at all is great and I hope Steven takes it into consideration!
Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:53:40 PM by biggy_wayn

heyman111

I have made a small change that might work better

Still pretty inconsistent on my end:

I think the best solution would be as Zak said, to completely remove [0:00.000] and make everything unhighlighted until the time reaches the first line's timestamp.

Example:

Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:51:22 PM by biggy_wayn

Zak

• Global Moderator
No offense but a lot of your suggestions deserve their own thread imo, so that we can discuss them deeper. But your point about not needing 0:00.000 at all is great and I hope Steven takes it into consideration!

That's fair. I got excited when I started playing with the synchronised lyrics.

I've edited my post to just the points on highlighting.
Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:23:58 PM by Zak

Zak

• Global Moderator
You can already do this: No highlighting in middle lyric(s) and the last lyric can be done by simply making an empty space and timestamp. Just have an empty line and timestamp it when the singer stops singing.

Hmm. Okay, that wasn't working for me before but it is now. :(
Thanks.

I did just update to the version 3.4.7586 Steven posted earlier though.

heyman111

try again now

It immediately starts doing the "weak" highlight on some songs' first lines (non 0:00.000 lines) and never fully highlights them. It just moves to the next line when it's that lines turn. So it's still inconsistent:

Here it is without a 0:00.000 tag (since you didn't mention if you added the suggestion Zak had or not), and it appears to have the same issue:

--

Heres a song that works, idk what causes one to work and the other not to:

Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:01:04 PM by biggy_wayn

heyman111

try again now

Will the issue above get fixed on the 3.4 release? Sorry for being annoying, but the only problem right now seems to be that the first tagged line never gets highlighted, thats it