Author Topic: Add from Inbox to Music Library frequently leaves 1 song in Inbox  (Read 1570 times)

michaelLochlann

This happens frequently enough that I finally decided to put in a bug report. Been doing it for years and I've updated musicbee several times

Steps to Reproduce / Explanation

1) Select Inbox
2) Select 1 Artist in Inbox (using the list pane). Example: CONAN
3) Listen to some of their songs (to see if I like them)
4) Control A to select all their songs
5) Right Click - Send to Music Library
6) All the songs will disappear
7) however, if you click another artist, you will still see CONAN in the inbox artist list.
8) Click the artist from step 2 again (CONAN)
9) This artist has 1 song left in inbox.  And only 1 song.  You have to send this one to music library too.
10) Now the artist is cleared from the inbox

Haven't noticed any particular reason that the 1 song stays.  It does not seem to be the one I am playing though. 

michaelLochlann

I will also note that me adding the artist usually comes after me updating the tags for all of their tracks (to set Genre, Grouping, remove Album Artist and standardize Artist name) so maybe that has something to do with it.  But I am pretty sure I've done it without this and it's done the same thing

michaelLochlann

Steven

• Administrator
i am not able to reproduce this, but can you post a screenshot of the view used in the main panel for the inbox

michaelLochlann

Of course I just added "Earth" to my music library and it worked fine. So it's not every single time. But it definitely happens often enough that I notice it.  I program C#/SQL for my job so I'm no computer dummy.

Aha!
Here's an example...I added "Helstar" to my library last night - all of it. Haven't downloaded or added any new tracks.  Yet here is 1 MP3 that is stuck in my inbox.  I always use Control + A to select all, I do not manually select.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FA67Ee8tvvWCdgYf1TlVOUkegzj4_qi5/view?usp=sharing

So, this is the last track in the album "The King Of Hell", so it may be a last album track issue.  That is not the last album in alphabetical order for them, "Multiples of Black" is the next along with several others.  Nor is it the folder name as the folder name is 2008 and there is a 2010 folder and a 1995 folder for Helstar.  I was also not listening to the track in question. Playcount shows 0.  So it's not "Track was playing".

All of the Helstar files were MP3 and i did not do any conversion.  All I did was tag the genre, remove artist name, and throw it in the music library.

It also did that to Paul Gilbert artist that I added last night.  There is 1 song left. It has all the genre & grouping tags I added so the tagging part worked.  It is just stuck in the inbox.  It is track 7 in a 15 track album so maybe it's not the track # that's the issue.  The album name & path is also not the last one in the list, so it's not that.  It seems to be pretty random.

I can select the 1 track in the inbox and add it in again and it's fine.  But obviously, it's a drag to double do work plus then maybe you're missing out on that song when you're listening to your library or syncing.
Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 03:41:59 AM by michaelLochlann

Steven

• Administrator
If you really did select all files that you wanted moved then i see no reason for this to happen. I will leave this unsolved

Dalinar

I also experience this. I have not tried his exact steps, I will explain how it works for me.

It has happened for as long as I've used music bee. It is not something new.. many years old.

I drag files to the inbox.. then I tag them and drag them off to either "Music" or "Audiobooks" tabs

they all disappear from the inbox.

Then more often than not, when I drag more mp3s into the inbox, one (and only one) straggler will reappear in the inbox, along with all the new files.

I cannot be sure if the file ever appeared in the moved location before popping back into the inbox. I think so.. as I don't actually scrutinize each song's name, I do sometimes look at the track numbers.. and would notice if a song is missing.. what is for (fairly) certain is that any tag that is applied to the album in the moved to location (music or audiobooks libraries), including photos, will not be applied to the mp3 file when it pops back into the inbox.

I stress that there is only ever one straggler that pops back. I have seen this happen hundreds of times. There is never more than one. Also it is sometimes possible for 0 songs to pop back into the inbox the next time I add mp3s there. However once it starts happening, most of the times I add songs will result in a straggler popping back in from the previous batch of songs added.

I always (100% of the time) will update some tags, usually in batch edits, of songs that I drag to the inbox when I add them to the inbox, before dragging them to the Music or Audiobook tabs. I wouldn't have mentioned this except I read that the OP mentioned that he usually edits tags.

When I say I drag songs to the inbox, I mean from outside of MusicBee as a way to add them. I cannot remember if stragglers can appear when adding songs through scanning the library, which is a method that I sometimes use as well for adding songs to musicbee.

update: yes it happens on library scan as well

update: I can confirm that after I drop an album in the inbox, then drag it to the music folder... then in the music folder select the album and paste artwork, that when the straggler appears in the inbox later it will be without this artwork. I am still not certain if the file was actually among the files in the album I selected or was missing. But for sure the straggler was not at that time visible in the inbox. So this might mean that the file is actually left in the inbox and just not displayed for some reason until the next time files are added to the inbox.
Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 05:18:45 PM by Dalinar

Dalinar

here are examples. these are a bunch of audiobooks series I've been adding. All the songs with similar albums belong to the same series. The odd one out is the straggler that popped back into the inbox and had been added previously and dragged to audiobooks and had disappeared from the inbox when initially it was dragged.

each image is after i've cleared out the inbox (moved them to audiobooks tab) then added a new folder of files consisting of a new series (and the highlighted file will be the straggler from the previously added series). I captured screenshots in order, so you should be able to see how there is one file from the previous batch each time as a straggler.

to be clear what I mean: look at the name of all the non highlighted albums to determine the name of the series, then look at the next photo and you will see the straggler has that album name because it belongs to the previous batch. you can do that starting from the second photo as the straggler in the first photo is from the previous batch which I did not take a screenshot of.

between each screenshot the inbox was totally clear and then i dropped the next folder worth of files

The Incredible Boom Boom

This happens to me as well.
When tracks are added to my Inbox, I will apply ReplayGain to them, then use a hotkey to send them to the Library. Every once in a while, I notice one track does not change over. Not a huge deal, but it is an occurring thing.

Dalinar

update:

- I noticed that for sure that if the song will appear the next time I add files to the inbox, that is is missing from the music section (I'm not sure if this is always the case but I have confirmed that it happens at least some of the time, but I assume that it is probably all of the time)

- after noticing the song was missing, I did a rescan (pressed ins) and then the file re-appeared in the inbox. Even though it was originally dragged (when adding files to the inbox, after editing the tags, I always CTRL+A the files in the inbox then drag them to the music or audiobooks tabs)