Author Topic: Playlist Folders  (Read 1451 times)

jhpen1

Hello, all.  I've recently switched from MM to MB.  I like it.  But I have a persistent problem.  When I create a Folder under the Playlist node, it either shows up as part of the Playlist structure--to the right of other Folders--or it appears at random in some previously created playlist.  Example....  I create the folder, either by right clicking on Playlist or by using the dropdown menu, and the Folder shows up under Dvorak>Symphonies>Symphony No. 9.  I've restarted the program to no avail.  The only thing I haven't tried is uninstallling and re-downloading.  Any solutions occur?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

You should be able to move the folder by drag & drop, will that solve the problem for you?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

jhpen1

It's not a matter moving folders but creating them.  I can right click on Playlist and choose Folder.  The new folder is  liable to appear anywhere in my Folder/Playlist tree.  It should be on the left of the tree.  But it might appear to the right of that, where playlists appear.  Or it might show up in an already-created playlist.  If I drag it to the Playlist node, it disappears altogether.  The same thing happens when I try to create a folder in the drop-down menu.

I couldn't quite understand your reply, so I tried dragging a folder from File Explorer (Win10) to the Playlist node.  It wound up in a playlist as a playlist, not a folder.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I couldn't quite understand your reply, so I tried dragging a folder from File Explorer (Win10) to the Playlist node.  It wound up in a playlist as a playlist, not a folder.

I mean drag & drop within MusicBee. You say if you drag to the playlist node it disappears. What if you drag to the bottom of the playlists. I think there's even some floating text telling you where the thing you're dragging will go.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

jhpen1

I mean drag & drop within MusicBee. You say if you drag to the playlist node it disappears. What if you drag to the bottom of the playlists. I think there's even some floating text telling you where the thing you're dragging will go.

Where does the file originate?  It has to be created somewhere in order to drag it to the Playlist node.

I just successfully created a Folder with the drop down File>Playlist>Folder.  It showed up in the right place, on the leftmost part of the Playlist tree.  I'd tried that before, and it didn't work, so it's an intermittent problem.  Before that I'd created one that appeared as part of a playlist.  I tried dragging it to the bottom of the playlist tree and got a red circle with slash.  So I dragged to the Playlist node, got a floating message to drop it on Playlist, and it disappeared.  I looked in every folder I have, and it wasn't anywhere.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What file do you mean? A folder is a folder. When you make a playlist folder, it literally makes a folder on your drive. Generally you would drag things within the playlist node, not to it from somewhere else.

I think some screenshots would be helpful to be sure we're taking about the same thing. Not everything you're saying makes sense to me. For instance, there's no way a playlist folder can be part of a playlist. So we're using different words for things, I think.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

jhpen1

I created a folder by right clicking on the Playlist node.  It appeared as part of the playlist it's now in.  When I gave it a name, it stayed in the playlist but not with the playlist icon.

https://imgur.com/a/e7defJK

I hope I did this right!
Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 11:59:34 PM by psychoadept

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I exposed your link. It didn't work with the img tags because the link is not to the image itself (ending in .jpg, .png, etc).

I assume it's "Folder in Playlist Position" that you're referring to as part of the playlist? That's actually a folder within a folder. Playlist folders don't have an icon unless there's something in them to expand or collapse, and then you get the arrow.

If I right click on the Playlists node and create a playlist, it appears at the very bottom of the list, but then moves to alphabetical order within the folders when I'm done naming it. If I right click on an existing folder and create a playlist, the same thing happens within that folder - starts at bottom (under the playlists), then alphabetical order for folders within the parent folder.

Try opening your Playlists folder in Windows Explorer, and watch what happens when you add a playlist folder within MusicBee. You'll see it created in Explorer, too.

I am observing the same thing you describe with the disappearing folders when dragged to the playlist node, so that's a bug for sure.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
I am observing the same thing you describe with the disappearing folders when dragged to the playlist node, so that's a bug for sure.
I actually fixed that yesterday in the latest patch version. Also I changed it so an icon always shows even when the folder is empty

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ha, you beat me to it, Steven. Nevermind, then! :D
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

jhpen1

I guess I'm giving up.  I uninstalled MB and downloaded it, again.  The first Folder I created--by right clicking on the Playlist node and choosing Folder--worked perfectly.  That is, the new Folder appeared at the left-most part of the tree with all the other Folders.  The next time I created a Folder, it appeared under an existing folder, where playlists usually appear.  I gave it a name,  and it remained under the same Folder, one indent to the right of where it should have been.  I tried creating a Folder using the drop-down method: File>Playlist>Folder.  The same thing happened.  I think we've all spent enough time on this.  Thanks for your efforts.

sveakul

Some important details that were not found in your post:

1.  What version and type of MusicBee did you download?  Note that the patch in Steven's link that fixes the issue is for the 3.4x version, and that if you downloaded the "Store" version, you would not be able to apply the patch in any case;

2.  If you did download the non-Store version of 3.4x, have you applied the patch?