Author Topic: folder templates & dot character ... any escape character ?  (Read 2268 times)

whismerhill

hi
for the purpose of using musicbee wifi sync with my android phone
I want to tell music bee to store music into
Code
.Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc-Track#> - <Title>
in
Devices
-Configure
--Settings
---Media Storage

why ".Music" folder instead of "Music" ?
because if I store into "Music" folder then all the albums get listed into my photo application as "albums"
which is a problem cause there is too many

on the other hand if I store into ".Music" then it's hidden by default & will not get displayed
and I can tell Musicolet (my audio app) to find music into this folder in particular

now the problem is :
this
Code
gets changed by musicbee after saving & closing & reopening the configuration into
Code
Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc-Track#> - <Title>
without the dot

is there any escape character for templates or something to force the dot into staying around ?

Thank you

whismerhill

example :
Code
will become
Code
Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc-Track#> - <Title>
in
Devices
-Configure
--Settings
---Media Storage

and to my knowledge the "templates" language doesn't have any escape characters

why is it undesirable ?
-if you want a folder name starting with a dot (which is valid in windows)
-if you want to copy files to a hidden folder on android

two ways I see to change this behavior :
-1 globally allow dot in front of folder names
-2 alternatively make a specific character sequence that allows escaping others just like in regex & similar languages that deal with strings

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've merged your duplicate thread and moved it to Portable Devices. This isn't a bug, even if it's unwanted in this case. Steven may or may not decide to change the behavior.

I had the same problem with the photo app, so I decided to just keep the art embedded. But I wonder if there's another solution, maybe .nomedia? My player will let you choose to ignore .nomedia files if you want to. Seems like the real fix would be in the photo app, but I'm sure that would be harder to pull off. :)
Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:21:49 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

whismerhill

I have only tested this there but pretty sure the "." in front of folders is a universal thing accross the whole of music bee though
sure making folders that start with "." is pretty uncommon
though I commonly have folders starting with underscores ... "_" so from that to "." is not far fetched

I first did a question cause I didn't know

then did a bug cause I thought it could be an unwanted oversight
that's all

sorry if I made a mistake

.nomedia would hide files within a hidden folder... so unless the app can unhide files... it won't work

whereas .folder just hides the folder, as long as your app can point to a folder manually directly you can bypass that
just my 2 cents

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It's a creative workaround, for sure. Might need to be a wish list request, in the end. It seems like intentional behavior, but my concern was mainly the duplicate posts. Makes it hard to keep the topic together.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

whismerhill

It's a creative workaround, for sure. Might need to be a wish list request, in the end. It seems like intentional behavior, but my concern was mainly the duplicate posts. Makes it hard to keep the topic together.

so ....
I managed to force the dot by editing the config file with musicbee closed, launching it & synchronizing immediately

and.... the end result wasn't so great

it seems (although I'm not entirely sure, I may be mistaken due to the unknown internal workings of it) that musicbee wifi sync would not see the files & resync the whole selection each time....

I had better results with just renaming on the device from .music to music then sync then rename back to .music, the syncing seemed faster

So in the end, it seems like this would indeed need to be a wishlist request as you said

EDIT: Worked fine with a cable though (so editing the config file to .Music then skipping music bee wifi sync)

EDIT2: and as long as I don't go into device settings, the ".Music" configuration stays in between restarts of musicbee
Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 10:46:09 AM by whismerhill