Author Topic: File Converter - permanently adjust volume vs replaygain WAV to FLAC conversion  (Read 1170 times)

FuzzyLogic

I'm in the process of migrating music from Windows Media Center (WAV) to the Synology NAS and converting files to FLAC. It's unclear to me what EXACTLY happens if I enable this setting? Will this in any way affect the music quality? I realize that replaygain is another option but I'm not sure if Synology's Media Server will use the tags if they are present.

Can someone please enlighten me on the pros/cons of these methods?

TIA.

frankz

In theory, any permanent change to the wav data will have an effect on sound quality. In practice, going from WAV to FLAC, it's probably not anything that anyone would hear. 

That said, I wouldn't do any permanent adjustment of volume unless I absolutely had to. I like to leave my lossless files as unmolested as possible, and changing them in ways that can't be undone goes against that.  I want those files to be the source they came from exactly.

As far as the server and replaygain, I think that's more a function of what you're going to be using to play back the files from the server. If the tags are in the files and the tags are read by the program rendering the output, you shouldn't have a problem.  Finding players that can interface with your server and read replaygain is what you should be researching IMO.

vincent kars

I can only second what Franz said.

PERMANENTLY ADJUST VOLUME does exactly what it does, it alters the files and you can’t undo it.
Combine this with “tracks same volume” and everything will sound equally loud forever.
So don’t use this option.

If you are using the NAS as a file server, MusicBee will read this tags.
As it is FLAC, the NAS will very likely read all common tags including replaygain when used as a UPnP server.
Just convert a couple of files and you will know.