Author Topic: Library recovery after a crash/corruption  (Read 722 times)

Jeffro314

I've got a sticky problem on my hands.  I installed MusicBee for the first time last night, imported my library from iTunes, and enabled the automatic file organization function - which of course involved renaming almost every track in my library, adding track numbers to every filename.

... And then I queued up a huge batch of files to add replaygain tags, and MusicBee crashed.  When I restarted, it said the library was corrupt and it automatically reset to a backup version.  Okay, that's fine, crashes happen...

Except - the backup version was made before I turned on the file organizer, and the file organizer changed the file path of every track in my library!  The backup is completely useless, because it's looking for files with the wrong names.  The tracks are still on the hard drive, of course, and in a pinch I could add them to the library as if they were new, but I've had years to build up ratings for every song and that data no longer connects properly.  I'm really hoping I didn't just lose all of my song ratings.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Oh, no! That's really frustrating.

My first thought is, did iTunes have them organized before? Because then you could send them back to iTunes to get them in their previous locations.

Another thought, since MusicBee still has their info in the database, would be to create playlists for each rating and then LOCK the playlists. That way even if the files lose their ratings, you at least have a record of them.

And once you get them linked back up, be sure to turn on "save ratings in files" so this can't happen again.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)