Author Topic: sorting and play order  (Read 1837 times)

MTVhike

When I sort my track list (Library?) by clicking on the tag title, and then play one track, shouldn't the next track on the list play next? That's what iTunes does, and I like that method - unless MB has a better one. Also, is there a way to sort on multiple tags - such as artist then title?

phred

• Global Moderator
When I sort my track list (Library?) by clicking on the tag title, and then play one track, shouldn't the next track on the list play next?
No it shouldn't. If you're only selecting one track and telling MB to 'play now' then that's what it's doing. I suggest you take a look at Preferences > Now Playing > playing tracks list.

Also, is there a way to sort on multiple tags - such as artist then title?
Click on the first header and hold down the CONTROL key and click on the second and third and fourth and...
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MTVhike

When I select "Now Playing" under Preferences, I see that "Clear List and Play All Tracks" is selected. All the selections for this preference are unchanged from the default, including this one. But I'm not sure what this means. If I select one track and play it, after that track finishes, the "next" one starts, but my original question is "what's the next one?".

I understand how to sort on multiple tags - thanks for the info on that!

MTVhike

I don't know if this is what's supposed to happen, but I found a workaround. I open MB and select my library. I then go to the track I want - any track, and double-click on it, and it plays. Then all the tracks following it also play, through the group (usually an album in my case), and will continue to the next group, uninterrupted. However, if I change the sort order, apparently that's for viewing only, because subsequent tracks are playing as if I hadn't changed the order. BUT, if I exit MB and then restart it, the new sort order appears and the tracks are played in the new order.
This is only in the main player; I often like to use the compact player, and the playing order may be different, I haven't fully explored what happens then. I have less control on the Displayed Fields for the Compact Player.