Author Topic: Embedded Fields  (Read 1026 times)

Peet

First Question: Data from which fields are PERMANENTLY embedded into mp3 files and is the "Mood" field embedded?
Second Question: Is data immediately and automatically embedded and/or what do you have to do to ensure mp3 files are updated with changes you make?

Thank You

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can generally assume that tags are stored in the file unless it's a virtual tag or a custom tag set as "save in MusicBee database only". The only other exceptions, off the top of my head, would be play count and date added.

Yes, data is immediately saved UNLESS it's the currently playing track, in which case it's saved as soon as the file is "released" by the player (either another song is played or you use the Stop command - NOT Pause).

You might find this page helpful: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Tagging
Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:42:45 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Peet

Thank you!  I hoped that would be your answer.  However, I found that data entered in the "Mood" field are displayed within MB, but when you look at the mp3 file properties in explorer (and any other music player e.g. wmp) the data entered in this field is not reflected.
Why would that be?
Thanks for the link shared, it is most informative!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I just tested it, and when I save a Mood tag it appears in the tag inspector under MOOD with tag code TMOO, as expected. Does Explorer show an empty Mood tag, or no Mood tag at all?
Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:47:36 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Peet

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I would guess that's a limitation of Windows/WMP. They may not be configured to read some of the less common MP3 tags. If you can see the TMOO tag in the file (i.e. with tag inspector), then it is there, the issue is just their ability to read it.
Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:47:23 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Peet

You've been great!  Thanks for trying to help!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You're welcome!

Sorry, I had the tag code wrong, it's TMOO. But the principle remains the same.

I may have solved your mystery. If you look at this, TMOO is only actually supported in ID3v2.4, which Windows has still not bothered to support: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#ID3v2_frame_specification

I ended up installing AudioShell to help with that: https://www.softpointer.com/AudioShell.htm
Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:01:15 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)