Author Topic: Best free music editing software?  (Read 3804 times)

Corliss Rain

I have several files which are an entire album in one MP3 file. Any suggestions on the best free software for splitting these into individual tracks?

frankz

I've used mp3directcut to split and otherwise edit mp3 files in the past. It's the only one I know of that doesn't re-encode and ruin the sound quality.  Haven't needed it in years and don't know how newer versions behave, but no problems 3 or 4 years ago when I used it.

sveakul

I agree with frankz 100%, mp3directcut is the best mp3 editor I've ever used and free on top of it, no file size limits etc.  FWIW, it will also allow you to losslessly edit AAC files if you add libfaad2.dll to its folder.

Corliss Rain

Awesome! Thanks, guys! I knew I could count on the forum to point me in the right direction.

alec.tron

Also, https://www.audacityteam.org/ is worth mentioning - plus donating, if you want to support the free ness...
c.

Shepherd Jim

Also, https://www.audacityteam.org/ is worth mentioning - plus donating, if you want to support the free ness... c.

I'll second alec.tron's Audacity recommendation. If memory serves, it's a free plug-in that enables Audacity to automatically parse through an album and break out the separate tracks. It accomplishes the magic by identifying the silences between tracks. Therefore, it is a good idea to double-check the results = a long enough silence, especially possible in classical pieces, may have a track incorrectly split in two.
— old dog learning new tricks ....having a blast !!

phred

• Global Moderator
a long enough silence, especially possible in classical pieces, may have a track incorrectly split in two.
Or no silence (as in crowd noise during a live performance) will prevent tracks from being identified.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here