Author Topic: artwork and or tags sometimes randomly disappear, what can i do to lock them in?  (Read 506 times)

wrsmusic

Hi, sometimes artwork or tags just disappear randomly.  Sometimes when I change (modify) tags, later the tag has returned back to the original pre-modification tag.  sometimes there is a flashing red exclamation point in the tags box.   What I can I do to lock in the tags and artwork and prevent this problem?

sveakul

First of all, do a Tools->Advanced->Rescan All Files.  Now do they look OK?

Are you modifying the tags inside of MusicBee using MB's own tag editor, or using a 3rd-party tagger?  If the latter, you need to rescan to pick up the changes.

wrsmusic

Hi sveakul (sorry If I mis-spelled, your message disappears when I am preparing the reply)  Thanks for the super fast response.  1. I'll try the procedure you mention 2. Sometimes I do the change within Musicbee, sometimes I use a 3rd party software for that. either way the problem can occur. Are there different solutions for the two options?  3. Sorry, I'm a newbie. What does it mean to "rescan"?  How do I do that? (I assume that is the procedure you mentioned.  If it involves something else, please clarify.) Many Thanks again !!
Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 03:48:43 AM by wrsmusic

sveakul

2. Sometimes I do the change within Musicbee, sometimes I use a 3rd party software for that. either way the problem can occur. Are there different solutions for the two options?  3. Sorry, I'm a newbie. What does it mean to "rescan"?  How do I do that?  Thanks again !!

If you use MB's own tag editor, it rescans the file automatically picking up the changes.  If you use a 3rd-party tagger, you either must rescan the file manually with MB after you do the changes (right-click, Send to->File Rescan), or have your library within a Monitored Folder (see Prefs->Library options) where they get scanned at startup or continuously monitored, as you select.

To rescan every file in your library manually at once, do what I just suggested in my last post---drop the Tools menu, choose Advanced, then Rescan All Files.  You might also do a "Reset Artwork cache" from the Advanced menu if you aren't always embedding artwork in case something got "stuck" there.

wrsmusic

Hey sveakul,  Very Thorough !!  Thank you for the explanation, sounds like it should cover it.  That should close this one out. Thanks for the time.