Author Topic: Remove gap between discs  (Read 3004 times)

Tybot

This really only applies to my classical music. I have no problem with the gap when it comes to modern music.

Sometimes, movements of the same work is split across discs due to the limited space on certain types of media. When the first movement is the last track on disc 1 and the rest of them are on disc 2, it looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/oEtNKZn.jpg

Is there any way to remove the gap only for the classical tracks while keeping it for all my modern music? I know I could change the disc numbers and renumber the tracks but I would very much like to avoid that if at all possible.

The Incredible Boom Boom

You'd have to use a different sorting method.

Tybot

I don't have anything in my tags currently that would work the way I want it to, so instead of adding something I might as well renumber the tracks for the few works that it concerns then. Thanks for the information. :)

The Incredible Boom Boom

From your other screenshots, it seems like you use media catalog numbers. You could use those? I use <Album Gain> in the grouping part of "Sorting/Grouping," so if you use ReplayGain that also would work.

Tybot

Hmm, thought at first that that could work but it doesn't seem to. Tried both catalogue number and album gain but the disc number seems to take precedence no matter what I choose. If the tracks are on different discs I get the gap regardless.

Album gain is the same for the tracks in my example. Album Artist, catalogue number, album gain defines an album under the grouping section and the tracks are sorted as MyCustomSortTag/Discsubtitle/Album Gain.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Tybot

What's the code for the virtual tag?

Which virtual tag are you referring to?

In my latest post, I was only talking about "Sorting/Grouping" in the musicbee settings, and "Sort by" in my main panel. No virtual tags are involved in that.

The Incredible Boom Boom

<MyCustomSortTag>

EDIT: My Sorting/Grouping is <Album Artist> <Year> <Album Gain> and classical music is sorted by <Composer> <ORDER> (you could substitute the work here) and <Album>
Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:07:58 AM by The Incredible Boom Boom

Tybot

<MyCustomSortTag>

EDIT: My Sorting/Grouping is <Album Artist> <Year> <Album Gain> and classical music is sorted by <Composer> <ORDER> (you could substitute the work here) and <Album>

As you can see, I'm using the Album Artist tag as "Composer - Full Work" so that e.g all Beethoven's symphony no.9 are grouped together under the same album artist. <MyCustomSortTag> is just a custom tag with a unique string to assure that all the symphonies are displayed in the correct order. Here's an example of one string:

CMP_Mahler, Gustav_; WT_Symphony_; NN_N0002_W0000_N0000_CT_0000_; PP_Klavierduo Trenkner-Speidel_

The grouping of the tracks under the same album artist is working just fine. But if some of the tracks are on two or more different discs, I get the gap between the tracks. It doesn't seem to matter how I sort them.

Use the work tag, and sort by that, for classical music it's better
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Arm1YHs5kHHpCCqKM8rNj7mFv4sscH1v/view?usp=sharing

May I ask what the disc number and track number are for the tracks in your screenshot?

MTVhike

I seem to have the reverse problem - some tracks seem to start "late", that is there is no silence at the beginning. My tracks come from various sources - all ripped by me using various software, including iTunes, Foobar, and MB. Of course, I could re-rip the problems ones (if I still have the CD).

The Incredible Boom Boom

I just found a representative album and realized I had a gap too. It's just not splitting movements, so I never noticed it. Might need to move this to the wishlist. Maybe no disc gap unless <Disc#> is part of the sorting tags or something?

sapr