Author Topic: How can I have it sorted Alphabetically and then Numbers and then specials?  (Read 621 times)

tw1zta

Hello everyone, first post.  :)

I am coming from iTunes and I am loving MusicBee so much so far. Much better experience.

So one thing that I want from iTunes is to have things sorted in this order: A-Z, 0-9, and the special characters go last. (Alphabet, Numbers, Special)

I have tried for hours and have not learned how to do it, could anyone please help?

Steven

• Administrator

tw1zta

Thanks for replying. So in the screenshot that you can see below, I hope I explained it better. *I am sorting "ALBUM" tab

https://imgur.com/a/JPSI17s

Steven

• Administrator
in Preferences/ Sorting & Grouping
you can specify a comma separated list of values in "ignore words" eg.
The, ", #
or you can use custom sorting

tw1zta

Thank you guys for your help, I was able to get the special characters go to the bottom when sorting, but albums that start with numbers still show up first.

I tried using what @LorenzaSchoen advised, and unfortunately, that's only working when it has the exact words that you put.

For example:
If I put the number "0", only albums with that exact name of "0" will be recognized. "0 Test" will only work if you put "0 Test", but not "0",  The rest of the albums that have the number 0 at the start but with additional characters, will not be affected.

phred

• Global Moderator
I tried using what @LorenzaSchoen advised, and unfortunately, that's only working when it has the exact words that you put.
For the record, user LorenzaSchoen has been banned and their posts deleted since everything they posted was spam.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Axxonn

You could make a virtual tag and use this, add extra symbols to your liking where the "1|2|3..." bit is:
$If($IsMatch($Left(<Album>,1),"#|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0"),"zzz"<Album>,<Album>)

Or I could probably make an A-Z, numbers, #!? order, when I've had some more coffee  ::)

Or it should be possible to make a tag that would list "5" as "Five", so "3 Feet High and Rising" would become "Three Feet...", if that would be useful? There's always the <Sort Album> tag as well, for when you want to turn bands like !!! into Chk Chk Chk.

Axxonn

This one seems to work like you asked:

$If($IsMatch($Left(<Sort Album>,1),"A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z"),<Sort Album>,
$If($IsMatch($Left(<Sort Album>,1),"1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0"),"zzz"<Sort Album>,"zzzzz"<Sort Album>))

You should still be able to type "zzz20" on the keyboard to jump to "20 Jazz Funk Greats", or you can of course adjust the amount of zzzs for all your ZZ Top needs.

hiccup

Personally I would suggest just forgetting about iTunes' way, and adapt and accept how MusicBee (and Windows, and most Windows software) sorts.
It won't take long to adjust to it, it probably doesn't present any actual issues to begin with, and using workarounds to try to achieve what you were used to with iTunes will probably be complicating things in several ways.

tw1zta

$If($IsMatch($Left(<Sort Album>,1),"A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z"),<Sort Album>,
$If($IsMatch($Left(<Sort Album>,1),"1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0"),"zzz"<Sort Album>,"zzzzz"<Sort Album>))

You should still be able to type "zzz20" on the keyboard to jump to "20 Jazz Funk Greats", or you can of course adjust the amount of zzzs for all your ZZ Top needs.

Thanks for your help!

Personally I would suggest just forgetting about iTunes' way, and adapt and accept how MusicBee (and Windows, and most Windows software) sorts.
It won't take long to adjust to it, it probably doesn't present any actual issues to begin with, and using workarounds to try to achieve what you were used to with iTunes will probably be complicating things in several ways.

You're right, I'll probably just leave it on default after all. It really isn't that big of a deal honestly. Thanks for the reply.

The Incredible Boom Boom

The below also may work without needing to display or use "z" at the end.

Code
$If($IsMatch($Left(<Sort Album>,1),"[A-Z]"),<Sort Album>,"")$If($IsMatch($Left(<Sort Album>,1),"\d"),<Sort Album>,"")