Author Topic: Ability to Add PDFs to Library  (Read 24497 times)

IrnoicBez

Hey Steven, just wanted to ask you if you could implement the same feature for txt files too.
I'm not sure how necessary this is. You can copy and paste text into the Comments tag.
That is true, I usually use comments when the text length is small, but I haven't found a practical way to read really long texts in the comment box. It would also make me have a lot of redundant info if I have to put the same text in the comment tag of every song in an album for quick retrieval. But I get your POV, it's not really a fundamental feature. I figured I'd ask since the code for pdf files is already there and would only need some little refactoring.

Steven

• Administrator
for the next v3.5 update, there is a new "has PDF?" field what can be used as any display tag/ filters/ highlighting rules etc
I will make it available after more testing and that might be a while

phred

• Global Moderator
for the next v3.5 update, there is a new "has PDF?" field...
Thanks for adding this, Steven.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Dalinar

That is true, I usually use comments when the text length is small, but I haven't found a practical way to read really long texts in the comment box. It would also make me have a lot of redundant info if I have to put the same text in the comment tag of every song in an album for quick retrieval. But I get your POV, it's not really a fundamental feature. I figured I'd ask since the code for pdf files is already there and would only need some little refactoring.
[/quote]

I have... I have! well not in the comments box per-se.. but can read it nevertheless.

You have to hover over certain areas and a huge tooltip containing the entire comment will appear (I have some long long comments and it works mostly great)

for Example, if you have comments in Track Information.. hover over that one line of comment and a tool tip will appear. Same with comment columns in the playlist in compact mode.

It works almost perfect the one problem is if the comment tooltip is so big that it touches the bottom of the screen it will disappear immediately.
Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 04:39:24 PM by Dalinar

Dalinar

I haven't  been following this thread so I don't know how pertinent this is but I do have a tool I wrote that I use in musicbee that will open files from the song folder. it takes various command line parameters.. mostly I use it as a toolbar button that will open all images and text files. I can't remember if it supports PDFs but I can add that easily. If anyone is interested pm me.

ebbremmer

Hello,

I've downloaded the patch. Unfortunately, the "has PDF" indicator is not shown anyware. I'm using 3.5.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric

Steven

• Administrator
it a field that can be displayed in the main panel like any other field but you have to include it using "Set Displayed Fields"
or it can be displayed in the Track Info panel, but again you need to enable it in the track info configuration

smann

Just tested this out with a random PDF thrown into one of my album folders.

I ticked the option to show PDF indicator, restarted MB and it showed up fine, went to delete the PDF from that folder since it was just a random test and not related to the album, restarted MB, annnddd... Much of the track info for the first track on the album was blank (Title, Year, Track and Disc numbers, Publisher, Comments). Not the biggest thing as I could easily add back in. But then I also noticed the song's time saying the total time for the whole album and listing the bitrate as unknown. Playing it shows the correct time in the top bar. Had to move the song out of the library, delete it from the library's list, restart MB, and re-add to get it back to working properly, minus losing play count which is fine. The actual metadata for the song wasn't changed at all, just in the MB library. Not sure if the PDF somehow utilizes some aspect of the first track on an album for indexing or so and this broke that.

phred

• Global Moderator
PDF somehow utilizes some aspect of the first track on an album for indexing or so and this broke that.
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About) INCLUDE THE LETTER (if any) AFTER THE NUMBER
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)

I've been using the PDF "link" since it was first introduced and can't reproduce what you're seeing.
I've added PDFs and I have removed PDFs and none of the music files change, nor does any data disappear.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MusicMee

I love this addition! An additional suggestion:

In addition to the "album covers" view -> "show the tracks..." -> "directly under the selected album..."  -> "enable all artwork to be selected and displayed"
It would be great to include an option to display a link/icon to each PDF there. Something like:
In addition to the "album covers" view -> "show the tracks..." -> "directly under the selected album..."  -> "enable all PDF booklets to be selected and displayed" (or whatever language makes sense)

Ideally, it would display icons for PDFs and images in the same way, as a single strip of clickable icons. This would allow me to drill down into images and PDFs in a single, seamless and consolidated way. While I realize displaying a thumbnail might not be possible, an icon would be enough, imo. Hopefully, that description makes sense...

phred

• Global Moderator
Perhaps i haven't completely digested what you're asking for, but the way it works currently is that more than one PDF can be in an album's directory. When the PDF icon is clicked, it shows which PDFs are present.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

smann

What version of MB are you using? (Help > About) INCLUDE THE LETTER (if any) AFTER THE NUMBER
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)

I've been using the PDF "link" since it was first introduced and can't reproduce what you're seeing.
I've added PDFs and I have removed PDFs and none of the music files change, nor does any data disappear.

3.5.8328, just unzipped the patch today to try it out. I thought it was weird as well because I don't know why it would link to any of the songs except maybe to verify that it shows up for the correct album in some way. Hmmm now it won't do it. A one-off event apparently. Maybe I did something weird the first time.
Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 04:37:21 PM by smann