Author Topic: Ability to Add PDFs to Library  (Read 24486 times)

MusicMee

+1

I have several pdf booklets that go unused because I forget I have them. Displaying them with an album (as the online service providers do) would be awesome! I'd be good with a simple link that launches a 3rd party viewer, it's more about knowing they are available when I am looking at/listening to an album. Of note: there are a few post similar to this one, which I think minimizes the requests (appear smaller than they would collectively). A quick search for "PDF" brings up at least 3 other similar feature requests.
Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:02:58 PM by MusicMee

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
I'd be good with a simple link that launches a 3rd party viewer, it's more about knowing they are available when I am looking at/listening to an album.
+1
Maybe something could be added to "Highlighting" to allow a rule
Folder> contains> PDF
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1, I have a growing number of PDFs  associated with my library

I also merged the half dozen or so other topics to this effect.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

frankz

MusicMee

+1, I have a growing number of PDFs  associated with my library

I also merged the half dozen or so other topics to this effect.

Thanks psychoadept!

hiccup

I am guessing the intended purpose is to be able to quickly open booklets of releases?

If so, more often those will not be pdf's but image files containing scanned pages.
Or there can be several pdf's, or a mixture of pdf's and jpg's.

So I am not sure if a solution should be restricted to the pdf filetype.
Perhaps a shortcut to open a folder named 'booklet' (or something) if present and residing in the same folder as the music files would work better?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If so, more often those will not be pdf's but image files containing scanned pages.

I'm getting a lot of booklets these days that are native pdfs, sometimes the source files used for printing booklets or just a virtual booklet, never printed.

I'd love to see something as simple as a PDF icon in the corner of the artwork that I could click to open in the default pdf viewer. Or even more basic, indicate presence of the pdf with an icon but right click to open it from the artwork menu. The most important part is the visual indicator of a pdf, in my mind.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

MusicMee

I am guessing the intended purpose is to be able to quickly open booklets of releases?

Or there can be several pdf's, or a mixture of pdf's and jpg's.

So I am not sure if a solution should be restricted to the pdf filetype.
Perhaps a shortcut to open a folder named 'booklet' (or something) if present and residing in the same folder as the music files would work better?

Most of my booklets are PDF (Qobuz's, HDTracks and iTunes all use the format, if I am not mistaken.) That said I think you make a good point. There are many booklets that are available via discogs, etc, that are collections of lose scanned images. It sounds almost like two unique asks...
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:11:26 PM by MusicMee

frankz

I would like a visual indicator that does not mar the album artwork if possible.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I mean, you can already embed or link as many image files as you want so I feel like that's covered. I don't think pdfs can be embedded, but I don't see any reason they couldn't be linked to files the same way as images. I imagine in the tag editor you would just see a generic PDF placeholder in the artwork tab, maybe with the filename on the chance there's more than one.
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:41:49 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

frankz

I'd love to see something as simple as a PDF icon in the corner of the artwork that I could click to open in the default pdf viewer.
I was responding to this.  I would not like an icon overlaid on the artwork (if that's what you meant).

MusicMee

Apple and Qobuz both handled differently and both appear to work:

Apple allows for multiple booklets, perhaps to be included with groupings or subfolders (disc1, etc):

Qobuz, on the other hand, include an icon along with the album info (I couldn't find an image but here is a url):
https://play.qobuz.com/album/ys96i2ayewnpa

Both have their pros and cons. I imagine the qobuz approach would be easier to implement. The iTunes approach, on the other hand, I believe, offers more flexibility - ie booklets tied to groupings, multiple booklets tied to an album/box set, etc... the iTunes approach would also allow you to potentially manage the file name, the same track filenames are managed
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:02:40 PM by MusicMee

Steven

• Administrator
What i have done is added an option to the Track Info panel to show a PDF file indicator. So when there are PDF files in the same folder as the music file the icon displays and is clickable to open the PDF file
Its in the next v3.5 update