Author Topic: is it possible to display the artist name in two languages?  (Read 1213 times)

blackwood

is it possible to do this but only for some artists? as in only the artists with non english names

im displaying the sort album artist next to the album artist.

album artist: АЭМ "Ритм-Каскад"
sort album artist: AEM Rhythm-Cascade

hiccup

im displaying the sort album artist next to the album artist.

Are you using—and populating—the sort album artist only for these non-English artist names, or do you have album artist and sort album artist next to each other intentionally for all artists?

hiccup

Are you using—and populating—the sort album artist only for these non-English artist names, or do you have album artist and sort album artist next to each other intentionally for all artists?

I feel it is safe to assume that it's the first.
In that case you can create a virtual tag using this formula:

$If(<Album Artist>=<Sort Album Artist>,<Album Artist>,<Album Artist>" - "<Sort Album Artist>)

Name the tag to your liking (e.g. Album Artist Extended), and select that one for displaying instead of Album Artist and Sort Album Artist.

The reason I asked is that I would suggest not to use Sort Album Artist for this purpose but create a dedicated custom tag for it.
It's usually a good idea to use tags for what they are intended for.
Even if you don't use them now as such, it might bite you in the butt later if you change or enhance your workflow or system.

blackwood

your solution works great but unfortunately it still shows artists names that start with "the"

I don't think I've used used custom tags... I'm not sure how they work

hiccup

your solution works great but unfortunately it still shows artists names that start with "the"

I don't filter 'The' myself, perhaps somebody else can help you with that.
For the other question, there is plenty info on the forum and the wiki on custom tags.

blackwood

I don't filter 'The' myself, perhaps somebody else can help you with that.
For the other question, there is plenty info on the forum and the wiki on custom tags.

Yes thank you so much for your help, your solution is already much better than what i had before