Author Topic: Unintuitive Layout for Nested Playlist Folders  (Read 2218 times)

OhJeffrey

Hey guys,

I'm organizing my music in various playlists which are sometimes nested in folders.

A part of my setup is structured in a hierarchy like this:

Party (Folder)
 |--Schlager & Fasching (Folder)
      |--Lustig (Playlist)
      |--Oldies (Playlist)
 |--Andere (Playlist)
 |--Blakan&Polka&Brass  (Playlist)

I want to emphasize that the folder "Schlager & Fasching" as well as the playlists "Andere" and "Blakan&Polka&Brass" are at the same hierarchy level.

The problem:
But MusicBee somehow corrupts the visualization of this hierarchy structure.

When you add lines for the hierarchy levels like this

I have 2 problems:
1. The playlists "Lustig" and "Oldies" which are part of the folder "Schlager & Fasching" are indented 2 times, instead of 1 time.
2. The playlists "Andere" and "Blakan&Polka&Brass" are indented from the folder "Party" 2 times as well. this makes it look like they are part of the "Schlager & Fasching" folder.

What it should look like:
1. The playlist-icons from "Andere" and "Blakan&Polka&Brass" should be at the same level(column) as the Expansion-Arrow-Icon of the folder "Schlager & Fasching".
2. The playlist-icons from "Lustig" as well as "Oldies" should have 1 level less (should be 1 column more to the left)

System Information:
I'm using latest MusicBee and Win10 64bit.

Thank you
Peter

Steven

• Administrator

The Incredible Boom Boom

Since this display method is intentional by the developer, you should request this topic be moved to the Wishlist board.

Zak

• Global Moderator
What it should look like:
1. The playlist-icons from "Andere" and "Blakan&Polka&Brass" should be at the same level(column) as the Expansion-Arrow-Icon of the folder "Schlager & Fasching".
2. The playlist-icons from "Lustig" as well as "Oldies" should have 1 level less (should be 1 column more to the left)

I agree the current layout is unintuitive, but OP has misdiagnosed the problem.

The playlist entries shouldn't move to the left. The folder entries should move to the right.
Which could be done by adding a folder icon that is the same width as the playlist icon.

(and I don't think what OP has suggested is even possible with a standard tree control - the icon on expandable items will always sit to the left of non-exandable items - that's a UI thing)
Bee excellent to each other...

OhJeffrey

I don't know if you understood me correctly.

I would prefer the layout to be like this:

Thanks for moving to Wishlist Section (whoever did this! ;) )

Steven

• Administrator
This suggestion doesnt work well in the left navigator but for the next v3.4 update i have changed the indentation handling for the Playlist Explorer tab

KangNi

+1    Hello everyone.

I'm running MB v.3.5.8150 and it looks to me nothing has changed regarding the folder level view.

I made 2 mockups (2nd + 3rd picture) to visualize the difference between the current (1st picture ) unnatural and a natural layout:

I constantly stumble about this thing since a while now.
It would truly be a benefit to see this implemented.

Thank You in advance.
Greetings.
Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 04:32:45 PM by KangNi