Author Topic: Seperate two albums of the same name but different artists using sorting?  (Read 2100 times)

Fivda

Hi, i've got yet another issue. Past few days, i've started sorting most of my albums using the "sort as" options for each of my albums. That's mainly to group albums of the same series in an ordered and more logical order than the alphatebical one or any others, and for now it's been pretty neat. However I've got an issue for two albums of the same name, as seen below.

I imagine that because they  both have the same name, adding a custom sorting name means that it applies for both albums. Hence why i tried to check the album artist too but to no avail. It seems both album are just stuck together, and ordered to whichever "sort as" name was last saved as.

Is there any way i can make them ordered like the values i input, so that they can be seperately sorted correctly without needing to change the album names?

Steven

• Administrator
Not that i can think of. I dont think that can be addressed by MusicBee due to the way custom sorting is implemented and as such you will need to use a slightly different album name in order to make use of the custom sorting feature (which you dont have enabled in your screenshot)

Fivda

Not that i can think of. I dont think that can be addressed by MusicBee due to the way custom sorting is implemented and as such you will need to use a slightly different album name in order to make use of the custom sorting feature (which you dont have enabled in your screenshot)

Whenever i enable it by checking the albums in question and save, the checkmark dissapears for some reason.

Steven

• Administrator
thats a display bug and doesnt actually turn off the setting. I will fix that for the next update

Fivda

thats a display bug and doesnt actually turn off the setting. I will fix that for the next update

Thanks. Guess i'll just add "/ Artist Name" at the end of the albums i guess, too bad since i wanted to keep the original album names for all releases.

Steven

• Administrator

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
It's not using sorting, but if you have files organised so each album is in it's own folder then go to
Preferences> Sorting/Grouping> grouping and turn on the 'files for each album are organised in their own folder' option
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Fivda

It's not using sorting, but if you have files organised so each album is in it's own folder then go to
Preferences> Sorting/Grouping> grouping and turn on the 'files for each album are organised in their own folder' option
Wouldn't that seperate all discs into seperate albums though?

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
If you have each disc in it's own folder, then yes.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Use zero-width spaces in the <Sort Album> tags.

What does this do? I don't think it will address the custom sorting problem.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

The Incredible Boom Boom

What does this do? I don't think it will address the custom sorting problem.

If the original poster uses a zero-width space in one of the albums instead of the other, it'll separate the two, like " / Artist Name," but less ugly. They can also be used to sort; I use them to further sort soundtracks in the Thumbnail Browser. Below, the MCU albums are sorted by in-universe chronological order and the Disney soundtracks are in accordance with the era released and then release year.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Oh, you mean to put it in the album tag, not sort album. I gotcha.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

The Incredible Boom Boom

Oh, you mean to put it in the album tag, not sort album. I gotcha.

Whichever tag is displayed would be the one to add the zero-width space to. In my Thumbnail Browser example, I have them in <Sort Album>.