Author Topic: Multiple libraries  (Read 2105 times)

MTVhike

I have a very nice library on my PC, with the files on the same computer. I created another library for a flash drive and put a number of files from a different external source on that drive. During that process, I noticed that both libraries showed up on my main MusicBee page. I noticed that sometimes the libraries get cross linked - that is music from one library shows in another. Because of this, I am hesitant to use MB for the library on my flash drive, but I would like to copy some music from one library to the other. How can I safely do this?

frankz

How did you create this other library and where?

What is a main MusicBee page?

You can have totally separate musicbee libraries that have nothing to do with each other. You cannot "copy" music from one to the other. You would need to add the music to the second just like you added it to the first.  As long as you don't use one to organize it away from where the other one thinks it will find it, it will work fine.
Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:50:27 PM by frankz

MTVhike

I went to Create New Library in the main page (sorry, Main Player, which is where I do most of my editing). I created a new library which I put on the flash drive where the music for that library is to be located. Then I copied the files from a different flash drive, converting them from M4A to MP3 in the process. So far, that has worked. Now I want to copy some of the original M4A files to my primary library. Based on your comment, I should be able to just plug in that drive and copy them to the primary library, right?

frankz

It's just like importing any other music file. Library 2 doesn't know it's already in Library 1.

What is your purpose in doing this? There is probably a way to accomplish whatever it is you're trying to accomplish that's easier and safer for your data than maintaining two separate libraries that contain subsets of each other's files. The logical reason to have two separate libraries is wanting them to contain their own files exclusively.

MTVhike

Why am I doing this? Because I'm still learning. One library (Library2), which is stored on my flash drive, is for my car and the car software doesn't have a search or sort function, so I need to minimize the contents of that library. My main library doesn't have that limitation, so I guess I could put Library2 onto Library1, except that a) Library2 is all MP3 and b) a lot of its content is already on Library1 in Flac or Wav format. This is a work in progress.

frankz

The traditional way to do this is to put the files you want to have on the flash drive into a playlist and then synchronize that playlist to the flash drive as a device, converting lossless files to the desired format on the fly.

If your player can't see files in multiple directories and will only read from the file structure and not playlists, then select to have all playlist files in the same folder in the device options.

EDIT: Oh, right.  You're the guy with the itunes files and all that whole mess.  You only mentioned mp3 flac and wav above. If you only convert lossless, then that won't convert your ALAC and if you convert everything it'll re-encode your mp3.  That's a problem because your mp3 files will be double encoded for no reason, but maybe road noise will take care of that problem and it'll sound great in the car.  ;)

If you can find mp3 replacements for the AAC files this would be a much easier thing, but maybe you do need two libraries (or a lot of "road noise.")
Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:29:54 PM by frankz

MTVhike

Yes, I'm that guy! I haven't used playlists at all - I just copy the desired files directly into the library. What is the advantage of playlists? I looked on my running copy of MB for playlists and I only saw various kinds of New Playlists or Import Playlists, so I guess I don't have any.

Regarding your other comments, this is still a work in progress. I was having trouble getting my car to read my iTunes files. I didn't know why, but there were three possibilities: it won't read M4A files, it won't read a 256GB flash drive, or it won't read a flash drive formatted as NTSF. I copied one M4A file to a smaller flash drive, and it still didn't read it, so I copied/converted all my iTunes files (both AAC and M4A) to another drive, 32GB, in MP3 format, partly to reduce the size, and that works. I screwed up the tagging, so I'm going to do it over and I'll try Flac (the M4A+AAC files totaled about 45GB, so maybe it will be small enough as Flac).

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For playlists, the wiki page is a good starting point.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)