Author Topic: Can Music Files Be Sorted by Date Created?  (Read 1639 times)

Gary Bee

I'm new to MB and this forum. I posted a few days ago, in this topic: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=19650.new#new but I haven't gotten any replies, perhaps because it's a topic that hasn't been posted to in about 4 years. So, I'm starting a new topic here and will paraphrase what I asked previously:

I've used Windows Media Player for over 20 years, and I'm accustomed to sorting my music files in my music player library by "Date Created"; i.e., the date I first acquired, ripped, downloaded, etc. the file and added it to my Windows Music folder, NOT the date it was added to the player library. "Date Created" is, of course, listed in a specific music file's Properties in Windows Explorer, under the General tab. Yet, MB does not appear to automatically read the Date Created data, and it is not available as a possible Displayed Field or shown in Tag Inspector.

In searching the forum, I've seen some comments that it's just not possible to do this in MB, but in the old topic link above, user boroda seemed to suggest that the Tag Tools plug-in could be used to do this sorting. Might I get the latest opinions on whether this can be done and, if it can, how?  Thanks!

EDIT by phred: Strikethrough link which was a double-post and is now deleted.
Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:14:40 AM by phred

Zak

• Global Moderator
I'm starting a new topic here and will paraphrase what I asked previously:

If you click on a forum user's name it will show you their profile page including the date they last visited. The person you were specifically addressing hasn't logged in since May.

This is a pretty active forum, so if no one has replied to your earlier post it's usually because no one has yet come up with a good answer, not because it needs more exposure. Now there's two active threads with the same topic which might split any replies between them.

I've used Windows Media Player for over 20 years, and I'm accustomed to sorting my music files in my music player library by "Date Created"; i.e., the date I first acquired, ripped, downloaded, etc. the file and added it to my Windows Music folder, NOT the date it was added to the player library. "Date Created" is, of course, listed in a specific music file's Properties in Windows Explorer, under the General tab. Yet, MB does not appear to automatically read the Date Created data, and it is not available as a possible Displayed Field or shown in Tag Inspector.

I wouldn't have thought using Windows' Date Created property for any kind of sorting or organisation was very reliable. This date can be updated for reasons besides the original file creation - restoring a copy from a backup for example. So Date Created can often be more recent than Date Modified or MusicBee's own Date Added. If you've been using it in Media Player and it works for you, I guess that's all that matters. *shrug*

In searching the forum, I've seen some comments that it's just not possible to do this in MB, but in the old topic link above, user boroda seemed to suggest that the Tag Tools plug-in could be used to do this sorting. Might I get the latest opinions on whether this can be done and, if it can, how?  Thanks!

If you download the Additional Tagging Tools plugin and copy it to your MusicBee Plugins folder, you'll get the new menu item Tools > Additional Tagging Tools > Copy Tag.... This can copy Windows' Date Created property to a custom tag in MusicBee which you could then sort on. Search the forum for posts about "Custom Tags" if needed. A nice thing about this is that if you store the tag value with the file itself, you will always have a record of that original date regardless of whether you copy or move the file around between drives etc.

MusicBee won't treat it any differently than any other tag, so your workflow will need to include a step to set this each time you add new music - MusicBee won't update it or set it automatically.
Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:15:50 AM by phred
Bee excellent to each other...

phred

• Global Moderator
@Gary Bee- While we really have no hard and fast rules here, double-posting is frowned upon because as Zak said, it creates two threads with (potential) answers split between the two threads. I have deleted your reply to the four year old thread and crossed out the link to it that you referenced in this thread.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MangerzArt

How do you embedd the date created to the file itself ?
cause i copy and pasted the file in other folder and the date is todays date.
i just copy tag <date created> to <date added> (so i can sort it on music bee)

And also copied the tag <date created> to <origin>  so if i copy the file or move it, 
next time i can get the original date from <origin> to <date added>
but  i dont know if thats the correct way to do it.

The Incredible Boom Boom

How do you embedd the date created to the file itself ?
cause i copy and pasted the file in other folder and the date is todays date.
i just copy tag <date created> to <date added> (so i can sort it on music bee)

And also copied the tag <date created> to <origin>  so if i copy the file or move it, 
next time i can get the original date from <origin> to <date added>
but  i dont know if thats the correct way to do it.

There's nothing wrong with the methods you're using.
You could also create a Custom Tag and copy the desired date there.