Author Topic: ripping cds and copying files using a naming template  (Read 1853 times)

MTVhike

Basic concept question here: where do the tags usually come from? Many of my files, either from ripped CDs or digitized LPs had no tags (except for "track01", etc.), except for those I got from my old iTunes library or those which I had ripped using Foobar. So, when I put them into MB, I had to manually enter the tags. I just got 4 CDs which were locally produced from live concerts. I ripped them using MB,  and, again, no tags. I assume it's because they weren't in any database. My question: If they had been regular commercial CDs, would MB have gone out to the cloud and found the necessary tags? Because I have always had the original CD or LP, I have the information necessary, but have to type it in manually.

Now, when I copy these new files, which I have manually tagged, to my library, will they use that naming template I had previously used so these files will "fit into" my library structure?

phred

• Global Moderator
Assuming you're auto-tagging, the source for lyrics, artwork, and tags come from Preferences > Tags (2) > auto-tagging. There you can select which sources to use and re-order them as to which you want to be first, second, etc.

If your ripped CD or LPs were home-brewed, then it's likely they didn't have the track titles and/or album title burned to the CD. Therefore you can't auto-tag.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MTVhike

Thanks, Phred. I should have realized that that's what autotagging is for!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If they had been regular commercial CDs, would MB have gone out to the cloud and found the necessary tags?

Probably, yes. MusicBee uses the MusicBrainz database for CD lookup, so it has to be in the database. It would have to be very new or pretty obscure not to be.
Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 05:49:31 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Zak

• Global Moderator
And if you have albums you have already ripped without tags, you can add them after the fact using

Tools > Tagging Tools > Auto-Tag By Album...
Bee excellent to each other...

MTVhike

So if I rip a CD without tags, how does Auto-Tag figure out what the CD is? For example, last year I purchased a CD from the artist at a concert. I later ripped it but never tagged it. I am now in my vacation home and the CD is in my primary home so I can't manually tag it.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
So if I rip a CD without tags, how does Auto-Tag figure out what the CD is? For example, last year I purchased a CD from the artist at a concert. I later ripped it but never tagged it. I am now in my vacation home and the CD is in my primary home so I can't manually tag it.

Normally MB will do a disc lookup and show you what it finds when you do the rip. But past that point, if you can give it at least the artist and album tags, then the auto-tag by album search should get you results.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

MTVhike

I tried it and got the message that to locate the tags, I had to have the plug-in fpcalc.exe installed, and I couldn't find it.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I tried it and got the message that to locate the tags, I had to have the plug-in fpcalc.exe installed, and I couldn't find it.

Are you trying to use sound signature tagging? Just select the album and use right click > auto-tag by album.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

MTVhike

The name of the group is (the) Parhelion Trio and I used that for both the Album name and the Artist name. The result was "no matches found". Of course, the album name may be something different. I tried eliminating the album name and still nothing. I guess I'll wait until I retrieve the actual CD from my other home. Thanks for your help.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It looks like that one's not in the database yet: https://beta.musicbrainz.org/search?query=parhelion+trio&type=artist&method=indexed

You can add it when you have access to the info! That's the great thing about MusicBrainz. Rather than just tagging your own tracks, put it in the database and then it's available for everybody (and you again if you ever need it).

Added: I think this qualifies as relatively obscure and (possibly?) recent. I can't find anything online about an album by them. Which makes it an even more important candidate for adding to MusicBrainz. If you don't want to do it, get me photos of the album and liner notes when you have them and I'll do it myself.
Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 05:32:49 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

MTVhike

It was fairly recent, in December 2019. The concert was at my church; here is a description: Parhelion Trio will be performing classic works by Debussy and Saint-Saens alongside exciting and beautiful contemporary originals written for the trio by Daniel Weymouth, Wendy Griffiths, Sunny Knable, and Daniel Felsenfeld. The concert will feature a WORLD premiere of 'Rhapsody'—a romantic Rachmaninoff-influenced tour de force ending with a rousing tarantella—written for the trio by Peter Winkler. 

Praised by The Strad magazine for their "effervescent" playing, Parhelion Trio – Sarah Carrier (flute), Ashleé Miller (clarinet), and Andrea Christie (piano) – is a New York City-based ensemble dedicated to bringing virtuosic, robust, and impactful contemporary music to diverse audiences.  The Trio has performed at Carnegie Hall, The Royal Danish Academy of Music in Copenhagen, and in The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s “ETHEL and Friends” Series. Parhelion is also the recipient of a 2018 New Music USA grant for their upcoming project Dark Matter: A Tribute to Vera Rubin, inspired by the life and work of the late astrophysicist. (parheliontrio.com)

I'll post more information when I get it.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That's great! You can also add events in MusicBrainz so if you have a link to the event details online that would be really helpful.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

MTVhike

Psychoadept: I got the CD and Googled it's title: Parhelion Trio Techno-Parade. The link gave me the YouTube videos of the tracks (or at least most of them) on the CD. Enjoy!