Author Topic: How to get MB map NAS drive through the internet?  (Read 6172 times)

hirdon

You'll have to do the research yourself, which is why I directed you to Google.

I did google it in the first place - and got links to this forum :) Heck it makes sense to read MB forums if I have problem with MB  I thought... I searched the forum and I read all NAS related posts before posting myself
(I did not search and read for DLNA here because my concern was NAS on MB - of course soon it got to dlna/upnp. I'm not a total idiot for computers but I only learn what I need to as I'm not an it professional. Until now I have not needed to get into servers, streaming.)

And MB is here for some time with millions using it for many years and some are expert in it. It is usually not out of the blue thing to ask the community - usually that's what the forums for.

DLNA only works over LAN, not the Internet.

Yes, I searched and found it out now - but this is still not the question (neither the answer)

If I set up a proper media server could MB use it to play my music? I came to MB because I like it and I think this is the best music player around.
But why would a music player can't do what it is for: play my music on my drive - including through the internet? We are well inside the 21st century - c'mon, our everyday life is based on the internet...
Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 06:41:44 PM by hirdon

frankz

I needed the MB DLNA plugin for Bubble to do what I wanted, which was to have my off-site listening reflected in my MB library stats.

But my reply was specifically referring to the bolded statement that DLNA only works over LAN. Bubble acts as a bridge between the LAN and the Internet, so if he wants to go that route, he'd have DLNA access to his MB library and it would achieve everything but using the actual MB interface to play remotely.  He'd have to use Foobar or VLC or something else on the remote computer.

I don't understand why the VPN option is being discounted.  Wouldn't that do exactly what the OP wants?

If I set up a proper media server could MB use it to play my music? I came to MB because I like it and I think this is the best music player around.
But why would a music player can't do what it is for: play my music on my drive - including through the internet? We are well inside the 21st century - c'mon, our everyday life is based on the internet...
This is a pretty rude attitude IMO.  If you want to take over the DLNA plugin and make it support this use, Steven has made the source code openly available for anyone who wants to take it over.  Otherwise, it has been stated that the DLNA plugin stands as is with the features it currently supports because DLNA is too much of a hassle with too many varied implementations to properly support.
Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 07:11:32 PM by frankz

hirdon

VPN for just listening your own music? (aside from the speed through a VPN)

This is a pretty rude attitude IMO.

Those are facts - facts usually don't have emotional attributes, although one can assign to them any...
On the other side "Go, search Google" can be rude "IMHO" - but I didn't take it as such...

Anyway its getting away from the question asked so I'll leave this as it is

thanx

Zak

• Global Moderator
But why would a music player can't do what it is for: play my music on my drive - including through the internet?

The short answer is because as soon as you insert the internet into your equation, shit becomes much more difficult.
There's a reason services like Spotify and Netflix invest lots of time and money developing their own apps.
Bee excellent to each other...

The Incredible Boom Boom

Here's the bottom line...

What you want to do can be done!
But, it can't be done the way you want it to be done...
...by any media player.
Therefore, you have three options...
1) Not do it.
2) Do it conventionally (UPnP server)
3) "VPN for just listening your own music"

As has been explained to you several times, MusicBee can always and will always "play my music on my drive - including through the internet." But, that is not the difficulty, which is in accessing your remote hard drive through Windows Explorer. That is what you must research how to do for yourself, because it's a task unrelated to the MusicBee program itself. If you happen upon a simple way to expose your drive to Explorer without using a VPN, we (at least I) would love to hear it and you will have taught us something.

But my reply was specifically referring to the bolded statement that DLNA only works over LAN. Bubble acts as a bridge between the LAN and the Internet, so if he wants to go that route, he'd have DLNA access to his MB library and it would achieve everything but using the actual MB interface to play remotely.  He'd have to use Foobar or VLC or something else on the remote computer.

All true, but the original poster doesn't want to use Foobar or VLC; he wants to use MusicBee. That's what's most important to him. While the other solutions offered are certainly easier, faster and more reliable, none of them satisfy his desire to use MusicBee to accomplish said task.
Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:06:29 PM by The Incredible Boom Boom

phred

• Global Moderator
...by any media player.
1) Not do it.
And a fourth option: For the third time, and then I'm leaving this thread TAKE A LOOK AT SUBSONIC!!!

@hirdon: Are my words not appearing on your screen? I have mentioned a solution three times and not once have you acknowledged it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

VPN for just listening your own music? (aside from the speed through a VPN)

Not a third-party VPN service.  A VPN that you create.  Speed would be exactly the same.

This is a pretty rude attitude IMO.

Those are facts - facts usually don't have emotional attributes, although one can assign to them any...
On the other side "Go, search Google" can be rude "IMHO" - but I didn't take it as such...

Anyway its getting away from the question asked so I'll leave this as it is

Responding to it and then saying "I'll leave that as it is" is a cop-out.

You really need to think through if this is the way you want to introduce yourself to this community.

Reflect on this, because it is the right answer.

Here's the bottom line...

...by any media player.
1) Not do it.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Reflect on this, because it is the right answer.

Or @phred's solution.... which I'm currently in the middle of setting up and trying. 😂

And a fourth option: For the third time, and then I'm leaving this thread TAKE A LOOK AT SUBSONIC!!!

@hirdon: Are my words not appearing on your screen? I have mentioned a solution three times and not once have you acknowledged it.

Zak

• Global Moderator

Does Subsonic let you use MusicBee to browse and play the music files that are saved on a remote PC?
Oh, he's leaving the thread. We'll never know.
Bee excellent to each other...

frankz

Does Subsonic let you use MusicBee to browse and play the music files that are saved on a remote PC?
Was phred here?  ;D

phred

• Global Moderator

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=32705.0

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Zak

• Global Moderator

The Incredible Boom Boom

You have to map the drive to Explorer, which will be difficult. You'll have to do the research yourself, which is why I directed you to Google. If you are able to discover a way to easily access your drive with Explorer through the Internet, we would love to hear it. Off the top, you could try setting up a VPN to your NAS drive, but accomplishing exactly what you desire is going to be a big pain in the ass.

Just an update, I hadn't set up a personal VPN in forever until recently, but I'm glad to say it's no longer a "big pain in the ass," thanks to Docker!
(Though I'm probably many, many years late on this.)

Happy to say I'm away from home, listening to Haydn over a remotely mapped network drive.