Author Topic: R0001 - More Encode Custom Settings.  (Read 4987 times)

StellarWind

More advice: this question raises the hair of long-time members. It encroaches upon Steven's personal boundaries, which are not appropriate for you, others, nor I to decide or convince him otherwise. It will be commercial when he desires and it won't be while he doesn't. Until then, if you are dissatisfied, the answer from him will be to make your own program that does exactly what you need it to.

How do you know if you don't ask?  I read the FAQ on the main page that refers to the question of the software going open-source but it results in dead links.  Doing a search for 'open source' results in nothing. 

All I am left to conclude is that this project starts free, then it goes commercial.  I've been in this industry for 30+ years and I've seen it all, as a software engineer and CEO.  I personally won't invest any time into a project that could become a dead end.  I'm looking at music bee only because I saw it advertised as open source which I quickly found that it was not.  Normally I don't give non-open source software the time of day but I kept going because the response to that question was nebulous.  I thought it could save me the months of trouble of coding my own media manager. 

But I have to ask... why give it out at all?  Why not just keep it for personal use and not bother spending money and time on a forum, a website, version management, etc? 

StellarWind

It's irksome to other board members see such tone

And you have to ask... why are people seeing 'tone' on a forum?  Is this a counseling session?  Maybe that 'tone' is a reflection of something inside those whom are 'offended'.  

Nothing changes the fact that the thousands of words spent attacking emotional issues could've been totally avoided by saying:  "Edit--> Edit Preferences --> File Converters".

So where did all the nonsense from all those other people come from?

The Incredible Boom Boom

It's irksome to other board members see such tone

And you have to ask... why are people seeing 'tone' on a forum?  Is this a counseling session?  Maybe that 'tone' is a reflection of something inside those whom are 'offended'.  

Nothing changes the fact that the thousands of words spent attacking emotional issues could've been totally avoided by saying:  "Edit--> Edit Preferences --> File Converters".

So where did all the nonsense from all those other people come from?

No one likes a person too dense to simply open up the Preferences menu, but instead barges in through the wall and sits on top a pretend throne to tell someone else who shares their work for free what they had better do.

hiccup

I thought it could save me the months of trouble of coding my own media manager. 

Hahaha!

You are really very funny.
Please stay with us?

StellarWind

I might!  It's an interesting sociological study to observe snowflakes being triggered.

I'm not sure if I'll write my own media manager.  We'll see.  If I do it, it'll either be 100% open source or not given out at all (even for free).  .NET is available on Linux now but I'm certain it only has halfass actual bug-free capability.  M$ has a long history of sinking big projects and supporting frameworks only as far as the marketing department.  I really like .NET but it's effectively strictly a Windows framework.  Java is too slow and too unstable and depends on the good graces of Sun.  I might end up writing a DOS-like text-only GUI application that strictly does work.  People forget how efficient text based pseudo-graphical GUIs can be.  Album art will have to be outsourced to associated programs.

frankz

hiccup

It's an interesting sociological study to observe snowflakes being triggered.

You have no idea how constrained the 'snowflakes' here have been in trying to respond to and answer your questions.
Until now the only snowflake is you.

This community has been careful and tender with you, not the other way around.

I'm not sure if I'll write my own media manager.

I am sure.

You won't.

frankz

But I have to ask... why give it out at all?  Why not just keep it for personal use and not bother spending money and time on a forum, a website, version management, etc? 

sig.ovia

This thread is my favorite thing ever.

Parry, thrust, riposte - rinse and repeat.

Just what was called for when there's nothing on TV.

AND I didn't have to pay for a seat ticket.

Bliss.

StellarWind

I am sure.

You won't.

I already have, but it's crap.  I've been too busy running businesses to keep up work on it.  If I can find a RAD environment that is fast but good, I'd do it.  The last good programming environment for that was VB.NET but M$ has decided to stop supporting VB, which is too bad since VB is just as fast as C# with the .NET framework. 

hiccup

Well, it's up to you then.
Stick around and contribute with useful input that might help to make MusicBee even better, or find your satisfaction and try to reach your goals elsewhere.

The snowflakes here won't melt either way.

phred

• Global Moderator
This thread is locked.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

StellarWind

Well, it's up to you then.
Stick around and contribute with useful input that might help to make MusicBee even better, or find your satisfaction and try to reach your goals elsewhere.

The snowflakes here won't melt either way.

We'll see.  The long term support of this project is a big black hole contingent on one person.  I'd love for him to maintain control but there's nothing stopping this project from disappearing forever overnight.