Author Topic: R0001 - More Encode Custom Settings.  (Read 4854 times)

StellarWind

File Converter generally only lets me select presets like Standard Quality or Maximum Quality.  Besides not easily knowing what these mean, we need to be able to select every encoding parameter manually if needed, such as bitrate, stereo/joint stereo, VBR/ABR/CBR, encoder quality setting, etc.  Each file format should have a tailored custom setting page.  You should be able to save your own presets.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Edit > Edit Preferences > File Converters

Hopefully you'll learn to love MusicBee, but remember it's a hobbyist project with one developer.
Based on this and the five (!) other wishlist threads you've just started, might I suggest:
  • Spend a bit more time with MusicBee first to see what is/is not possible before asking for changes. There's a good chance what you want already exists or has a workaround.
  • Bees are not monkeys. Likewise, MusicBee is not MediaMonkey. If there are lots of things in MediaMonkey that work they way you're used to, it may be easier to keep using it. If you want to migrate, don't start by asking for everything in MusicBee to be changed to work the same. There will be things that require you to change your workflow.
  • Whatever R0001 - B0005 mean to you, they mean nothing to us. They're just confusing the forum for everyone else. And if you post something that requires me to refer to your other posts for context, that's the point I stop reading. Others may be prepared to jump between posts, but ideally each new thread should stand alone to make it easier for us to follow what you're asking for.
Bee excellent to each other...

StellarWind

Edit > Edit Preferences > File Converters

Hopefully you'll learn to love MusicBee, but remember it's a hobbyist project with one developer.
Based on this and the five (!) other wishlist threads you've just started, might I suggest:
  • Spend a bit more time with MusicBee first to see what is/is not possible before asking for changes. There's a good chance what you want already exists or has a workaround.
  • Bees are not monkeys. Likewise, MusicBee is not MediaMonkey. If there are lots of things in MediaMonkey that work they way you're used to, it may be easier to keep using it. If you want to migrate, don't start by asking for everything in MusicBee to be changed to work the same. There will be things that require you to change your workflow.
  • Whatever R0001 - B0005 mean to you, they mean nothing to us. They're just confusing the forum for everyone else. And if you post something that requires me to refer to your other posts for context, that's the point I stop reading. Others may be prepared to jump between posts, but ideally each new thread should stand alone to make it easier for us to follow what you're asking for.

A reference to MM exists to have a common frame of reference.  The naming nomenclature is because I use it to refer to a something in the future.  Have you ever tried working dozens of different projects then coming back weeks later? 

phred

• Global Moderator
I agree with everything that Zak has stated. I (we) do not what to go back and forth between various threads because you're referencing one in the other. Keep each thread to one topic. Don't tell us "in reference to R2D2" because that makes us jump around. And Zak, and I, and I'm sure many others, aren't going to do that.

File Converter generally only lets me select presets like Standard Quality or Maximum Quality.  Besides not easily knowing what these mean, we need to be able to select every encoding parameter manually if needed, such as bitrate, stereo/joint stereo, VBR/ABR/CBR, encoder quality setting, etc.  Each file format should have a tailored custom setting page.  You should be able to save your own presets.
Just using this one post as an example, you can easily tell what each preset does by looking at the command line in Preferences > File Converters and then using your favorite search engine to learn or change the parameter to suit your needs. And "we" don't need to be able to select every parameter. "you" do. And you can save your own presets.

As Zak said, spend some time with the Wiki and browsing through the forum. Experiment. Try things out. Learn the program. MusicBee is not MediaMonkey. And we don't want it to be. We don't need, nor want, every feature MM has. If we did, we'd be using it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

StellarWind

I agree with everything that Zak has stated. I (we) do not what to go back and forth between various threads because you're referencing one in the other. Keep each thread to one topic. Don't tell us "in reference to R2D2" because that makes us jump around. And Zak, and I, and I'm sure many others, aren't going to do that.

Just using this one post as an example, you can easily tell what each preset does by looking at the command line in Preferences > File Converters and then using your favorite search engine to learn or change the parameter to suit your needs. And "we" don't need to be able to select every parameter. "you" do. And you can save your own presets.

As Zak said, spend some time with the Wiki and browsing through the forum. Experiment. Try things out. Learn the program. MusicBee is not MediaMonkey. And we don't want it to be. We don't need, nor want, every feature MM has. If we did, we'd be using it.

I think your reply speaks volumes as to how well this software will be supported in the future. 

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It's been supported well for over 10 years, with much faster turnaround than Media Monkey or any of the big name programs, and without any paid staff.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

frankz

MediaMonkey Version 5 - Beta Version Year 4.  Buy Gold to unlock!

StellarWind

I finally was able to locate it under Preferences.  I'm still evaluating it to see if I can make the jump.  I don't mind giving donations for good work, which clearly this is.  The long term support of a closed source project is worrisome, although I can understand why.  I wouldn't want to open source something only for it to be used by some other commercial vendor just changing the splash page.  I believe there are open source licenses that prevent commercial use.  I offered to be one of hopefully many secret holders of source code bound by Non-Disclosure Agreement not to release it unless the author fails to put up a canary (signal) saying otherwise [same idea used by websites getting national security letters].  So far I see more potential in this than MM.

frankz

I finally was able to locate it under Preferences.  I'm still evaluating it to see if I can make the jump.  I don't mind giving donations for good work, which clearly this is.  The long term support of a closed source project is worrisome, although I can understand why.  I wouldn't want to open source something only for it to be used by some other commercial vendor just changing the splash page.  I believe there are open source licenses that prevent commercial use.  I offered to be one of hopefully many secret holders of source code bound by Non-Disclosure Agreement not to release it unless the author fails to put up a canary (signal) saying otherwise [same idea used by websites getting national security letters].  So far I see more potential in this than MM.
You can just, you know, use and enjoy it without the existential crisis aspect.

hiccup

You can just, you know, use and enjoy it without the existential crisis aspect.
So you are now not worrying if you will still be around when R9999 gets published?
And what will happen next?
You're a wiser man than me then.

Steven

• Administrator
I'm still evaluating it to see if I can make the jump.  I don't mind giving donations for good work, which clearly this is.  The long term support of a closed source project is worrisome, although I can understand why.  I wouldn't want to open source something only for it to be used by some other commercial vendor just changing the splash page.  I believe there are open source licenses that prevent commercial use.  I offered to be one of hopefully many secret holders of source code bound by Non-Disclosure Agreement not to release it unless the author fails to put up a canary (signal) saying otherwise [same idea used by websites getting national security letters].
I have no plans to change how MusicBee is made available or supported

StellarWind

I'm still evaluating it to see if I can make the jump.  I don't mind giving donations for good work, which clearly this is.  The long term support of a closed source project is worrisome, although I can understand why.  I wouldn't want to open source something only for it to be used by some other commercial vendor just changing the splash page.  I believe there are open source licenses that prevent commercial use.  I offered to be one of hopefully many secret holders of source code bound by Non-Disclosure Agreement not to release it unless the author fails to put up a canary (signal) saying otherwise [same idea used by websites getting national security letters].

Will this become commercial software?

hiccup

The answer you received seems quite clear to me?
Didn't you understand it, or do you doubt what was said?

Don't take this the wrong way, fresh blood and fresh input should be welcomed. Without it MusicBee would never have evolved to the level it has reached after some 10 yrs. of continued development, and effort and input by a lot of users.
(many 'refugees' having experience and coming from Winamp, foobar2000, iTunes, WMP, MediaMonkey, etc. etc., often bringing good suggestions and ideas to the table to possibly become a MusicBee feature)

But it might be good for you to do some self-filtering before you unleash each and every idea, thought and suggestion that pop into your head on the forum.

It would also be good to stay on topic, even in your own threads.
This is topic R0001 (which as you know is about encoding settings)

And as you found out, it was in fact a Question, not a Wish.
So doing some research before deciding where to post something is also a good thing.
Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 03:57:07 PM by hiccup

The Incredible Boom Boom

All the back and forth snark is silly, guys.

@StellarWind, we get you have a workflow that you've likely used for many years and would like transition your same flow over to MusicBee, but, don't you think it's just a tad unreasonable to have such zealous personal expectations from a program that is developed the way it is?

If it's important that your entire workflow remain within one environment, you'll have to either make some adjustments, spend time seeing if there is a workaround, hope your request (these are requests, but, even if not intentioned, yours come across as demands) is something others would like to see implemented, or return to MediaMonkey.

File Converter generally only lets me select presets like Standard Quality or Maximum Quality.  Besides not easily knowing what these mean, we need to be able to select every encoding parameter manually if needed, such as bitrate, stereo/joint stereo, VBR/ABR/CBR, encoder quality setting, etc.  Each file format should have a tailored custom setting page.  You should be able to save your own presets.

It's irksome to other board members see such tone, especially when what has been asked of is already implemented within the program, as it suggests the poster didn't delve into the settings or Wikia enough to see if they were first missing something. A better approach would be to ask a question and then have your topic moved to this board if no solution can be discovered.

More advice: this question raises the hair of long-time members. It encroaches upon Steven's personal boundaries, which are not appropriate for you, others, nor I to decide or convince him otherwise. It will be commercial when he desires and it won't be while he doesn't. Until then, if you are dissatisfied, the answer from him will be to make your own program that does exactly what you need it to.

hiccup

All the back and forth snark is silly, guys.

I don't agree with putting away the replies given by other members as 'silly snarks'.

The vast majority of the replies contain valuable information, and yes, perhaps some humour accidentally slipped between the mazes.
But estimating the intelligence of the OP I trust that he can take it as such.