Author Topic: General SubSonic Discussion  (Read 2167 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Does Subsonic let you use MusicBee to browse and play the music files that are saved on a remote PC?
Oh, he's leaving the thread. We'll never know.
By "leaving the thread" I'm not participating in it any longer as it appears I'm wasting my time telling the OP to try SubSonic. Since s/he chooses to ignore my suggestion, what's the point of my adding to the thread. But that doesn't mean I'm not reading it. If for no other reason than to shake my head sadly.

Or to address other reasonable questions, such as Zak's and perhaps frankz's comment.  :-)

There is a SubSonic plugin available on MB's plugin page. IIRC, Steven started it, and it worked with some issues. Steven eventually decided not to support it and tossed it out there for someone to take over. Which someone did. That someone never got my issues resolved, and as far as I know, it's no longer supported. The "current" developer hasn't said so, but he hasn't been on the forum since March of this year. There are some comments in the thread since then by users, but no responses by the developer. IIFC, he wants (wanted?) issues raised on GitHub, something I personally don't like using. The plugin thread is here.

To answer Zak's question ... By using the plugin a SubSonic entry appears in the left sidebar, either under or as part of the computer node. From there you can browse (and play) your library much as you would do with a file explorer. This is what didn't work well for me. I don't recall specially what didn't work for me, and I'm not going back to read the thread.

The other way to use SS is through your browser. Or through one of SubSonic's Android or iPhone apps. You install the server on your PC (I have a dedicated PC for this and a couple of other 'server-type' things on there.) Using the web GUI you log in and configure it to your liking, including pointing SS to the root of your music files directory and to the root of your playlists directory. You can also set it up to allow other users to access your music via log in credentials. Can can also control whether or not your 'users' are allowed to edit files, create playlaistls, or download your music. I only allow my users to listen. Note that you need to have a static IP. Or at least an IP that doesn't change every day. And you need to keep the PC where the server lives powered up all the time. It even has a working DLNA/UPNP module which is how I access my music on my TV and AVR.

But since this thread isn't about SubSonic and I don't want to hijack it, please direct further questions about SS and it's use to me either via PM, or better still, a new thread. I should add here that SS is not free. I got in on its early days and paid a one-time 'forever' license. I don't know what the license model is now, but if you can afford it and want access to your music from anywhere, it's worth it.

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here