Author Topic: Line Break in Virtual Tags in Album Cover View Or second sub header  (Read 2360 times)

johnmillsjr

Hi folks, I am continuing setting up what I call "DiscographBee" A combination of settings that will turn Musicbee and my song files into a fully interactive discography.

I've hit a slight hurdle and also have a couple of tweaks I need to be able to display personell as there is only one subheader- but i need the track grouping functionality to stop messy repetitive tags

I hope my screen sums up things clearly:

Key Points

-The ability to align the sub-grouping header left, right or center. This would still take single-column list setting into account (retaining the wonderful addition you made of allowing them to extend past the column) but slight alignment for users who use dual column mode may need factoring in.
-The personel tag would display below the sub-grouping header (New York, NY- where the red Z shaped line is) as another header of sorts. a change in text/tags of either will create a new header
Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:10:58 AM by johnmillsjr

The Incredible Boom Boom

I think I would like to see something like this, but I'm quite a bit confused as to what's going on. 😅

I think the last red point would pretty difficult to implement, but for two and three, I'm having trouble envisioning how another sub-header in this case would look and whether it's really necessary for this use case?

Would it look something like:
Bing & Satchmo
New York
    60 XY 111 At the Jazz Band Ball    Columbia E3882P
         clarinet: Larry Shields; drums: Tony Sbarbaro; piano: Henry Ragas; trumpet: Nick LaRocca; trombone: Eddie Edwards

johnmillsjr

I think I would like to see something like this, but I'm quite a bit confused as to what's going on. 😅

I think the last red point would pretty difficult to implement, but for two and three, I'm having trouble envisioning how another sub-header in this case would look and whether it's really necessary for this use case?

Would it look something like:
Bing & Satchmo
New York
    60 XY 111 At the Jazz Band Ball    Columbia E3882P
         clarinet: Larry Shields; drums: Tony Sbarbaro; piano: Henry Ragas; trumpet: Nick LaRocca; trombone: Eddie Edwards

I hope to display it above the tracks and underneath the subheader and have it work similar to it- only displaying once above the songs that have identical personell, and then create, a new Personnel header when the tag changes to different personnel

So to use your example  (as my screenshot is of tracks where i haven't tagged the catalog number that displays after the title):

New York                      

60 XY 111 At the Jazz Band Ball    Columbia E3882P

The track row is a Virtual tag made of %setsubtitle% %title% %originalalbum%.

I would like a way to have an exact amount  of spaces in between those tags- but whilst basing it off the longest tag- to stop as much zig-zagging as possible:

I've added spaces within the virtual tag to give me the disired spacing the best I can (I want the Catalog numbers to have a large gap leading to the right like that)
Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 04:46:29 AM by johnmillsjr

johnmillsjr

Bump

@Steven is there any chance some of these features could be implemented?

Zak

• Global Moderator
I could have sworn I posted a reply in this thread when it was first posted, but I guess not.  :-\

I don't think there's any way for a "padding" tag to work, because each tag only knows about the values from its own track.
For example, there's no way for the tag showing "The Preacher" to know the length of the tag showing "Bye Bye Blues".
It's also non-trivial to implement because you have to account for different fonts, sizes, screen resolutions, dpi etc.
It also doesn't scale - what happens if someone shows 1000 tracks at a time?

This seems to be another case of misdiagnosing the problem and asking for the wrong solution.
If the problem is that the text isn't aligned, the best solution isn't to add padding to the text, it's to add some way to show tag values in a second (or third, or fourth...) column.
Bee excellent to each other...

johnmillsjr

If the problem is that the text isn't aligned, the best solution isn't to add padding to the text, it's to add some way to show tag values in a second (or third, or fourth...) column.

That would be fantastic- but I just thought it may break away from the premise of the layout, hence why I have tried to work with the current features as much as possible. But i really hope some more features can be implemented for what I am trying to do. Discography is my passion, and these implementations could open so many doors for me.