Author Topic: MusicBee now freezes everytime I tag files.  (Read 2811 times)

KB

After a long run of bug free time things have gone from worse to worse.
Could be an album cover or just a number in the no. of discs, it starts to apply then the entire app freezes usually on the 6th.

Have to reboot everytime.

Single file Flac with a cue seem ok. But anymore than 6 files and crash.

A couple of months ago a "Memory Full" notice would pop up now and then when scanning for new files. Closing, re-opening and scanning again always fixed it.

Then this problem arrived along with the truncated "LBUMART" thingy, which I haven't seen for a couple of years.

I have Windows 10 Pro, MusicBee is up to date.

Tried the "4gb patch" and the other stuff, but did not get any of the results as posted.

Anyone else seeing this again? Fixed a lot of this years ago by getting rid of Windows Media Player, this no longer applies of course.

frankz

I'm not sure why this is in the "Bug Report" section.  Generally, when a user consistently experiences problems with a widely used program that seem to only happen to them, it's not a problem with the widely used program.

I regularly tag entire FLAC albums with all manner of tags and artwork, or apply automatic end silence to multiple FLAC albums at once, and do not experience these things.  It is not a MusicBee problem.

KB

sorry if this is in the wrong spot, just a bit uneducated in these things.

KB

Told this does not belong in "Bugs" so will try here.

After a long run of bug free time things have gone from worse to worse.
Could be an album cover or just a number in the no. of discs, it starts to apply then the entire app freezes usually on the 6th.

Have to reboot everytime.

Single file Flac with a cue seem ok. But anymore than 6 files and crash.

A couple of months ago a "Memory Full" notice would pop up now and then when scanning for new files. Closing, re-opening and scanning again always fixed it.

Then this problem arrived along with the truncated "LBUMART" thingy, which I haven't seen for a couple of years.

I have Windows 10 Pro, MusicBee is up to date.

Tried the "4gb patch" and the other stuff, but did not get any of the results as posted.

Anyone else seeing this again? Fixed a lot of this years ago by getting rid of Windows Media Player, this no longer applies of course.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I agree that while it's undesirable behaviour it's extremely unlikely to be a bug. Otherwise, other people would have mentioned it.
It sounds to me like it might be a hardware problem - either memory or disk - but without extra details it's impossible to say.

Where are your music files saved? Local hard drive? Portable hard drive? SSD? Network drive? NAS?
Do you have unexpected, intermittent crashes or freezes with other programs?
Do you have problems accessing other files from the same drive in other programs?

Is it just FLAC files you have issues with, or other formats too?
Is it editing the same files that always cause problems?

How many audio files are in your library / collection?
Freezes during scanning or abnormally long file scanning times usually indicates a corruption within a file which MusicBee can't always handle gracefully. In that case, try adding your tracks in batches rather than all at once to narrow down where the problem might be.

I'm just reading about the 4GB patch for the first time. Patching program files this way sounds like the sort of thing that would cause more problems than it fixes,
Steven himself wrote: it should be extremely rare that anyone would need to do this ie. you would need to have a large library with a lot of metadata for each file

There are lots of users with 100,000+ tracks in their library (myself included) using MusicBee with no problems, so I sure wouldn't recommend using that patch unless you unless you know you have a problem with memory usage.
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
Also look at whitelisting musicbee in your security software

KB

Thanks for your answers.
I will work away at them and get back. Cheers.

frankz

No need to apologize, I just didn't understand whether you were genuinely reporting this as something you thought should be fixed on the program's end or asking for user-to-user help in solving whatever specific system issue you're having.

Is it possible your drive is failing or that your music files have become corrupted? Have any other programs touched the files (apart from playing them), even unintentionally?  You noted two years ago when this happened that WMP was background editing them or something.  Is it possible something else is doing that now?

Maybe running some drive diagnostics through Windows would help?  Like I said, I regularly edit dozens of FLAC files at once in MB without difficulty, and I've not even implemented that memory trick, so MB should be able to handle more than 6.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've merged these threads
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

KB

Scanned and diagnosed everything 3 times and the drives came up ok.
I am a really old bloke, nearly 70, and have managed over several years to load all my music onto MusicBee.
I now have nearly 780,000 tracks of several different types and they all play great on MusicBee.
(That's nearly 11GB of music or 2,153 days worth).

I believe it must be a memory hang up of some sort, try as I may all the fixes here do not bring up the same results as you guys have posted, so have not been able to bump it up to 4GB just to see.

Notices like: " EDITBIN : error : cannot execute LINK.EXE; errno = 2 (2)" or "editbin" etc etc is not a recognised command and so forth.

Anyway I submit a few items from recent MusicBee error log if anyone can make sense. Thanks.

1/08/2020 1:15:38 PM - 10.0.19041.0 - 3.3.7367.38620D - System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
   at System.String.InternalSubString(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
   at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
   at #=z$O6YPoXOvM348RTdYg==.#=zZ7KmBkRtuJ_y()
   at #=zhkXUnNEtmhEAkRJil8rTpmQ=.#=z4xHvwMCwiTk0(#=z$O6YPoXOvM348RTdYg== #=zLrFwfT4=)
   at #=zBRiLY4reFB5rD1EWKBwzRrA=.#=zBIfPZGc=.#=zs7T7apjzk8$ljcrZwQ==(List`1 #=zMuI9NuBdiJu6, Boolean #=zloc1_NIW6pXohlb5Eg==, Boolean #=z1NQOEWEWGMaa, Boolean #=zD7yDa0dONwNL3bQEZw==, String[] #=zcTthYFPcO5rk, Boolean #=z6q_0SGBAjlwWafX_6Q==, Dictionary`2& #=zOr6W2TSi5V24m5R2hA==)

4/08/2020 10:15:25 AM - Unable to scan folder 'H:\Kevin Music\'
Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
4/08/2020 10:15:31 AM - 10.0.19041.0 - 3.4.7499.38343D - System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
   at System.String.ConcatArray(String[] values, Int32 totalLength)
   at System.String.Concat(String[] values)
   at #=zGINhMwW$DjEMLNC8FObbHjM=.#=z4BHgvLRviUBK(List`1 #=z3f866kU=, String #=zVbn8jnIE3u_W)
   at #=zKFb7c0xLWXUJoJKrxecbT58=.#=zSjSSe$r33Tmd(#=zHuq4fvS0l_rc #=zz_0$sYM=, Boolean #=znpJKKI7eyHgE)
   at #=z3VwavS_fO7e_RfgJKn2ezL0=.#=zHuq4fvS0l_rc.#=z_Pm8FSKUT6KH()

13/08/2020 11:58:06 AM - 10.0.19041.0 - 3.4.7499.38343D - System.IO.InvalidDataException: Found invalid data while decoding.
   at #=zlBfunkBMBie7BRDzjoqqB5w=.#=zZyfDuOV7U$qp.#=zgts9KWs=(FileStream #=zNc1bJao=)
   at #=zlBfunkBMBie7BRDzjoqqB5w=.#=zJcjPI1jeq8kB.#=z_BEjVP_fpf7HEnY0iw==(#=zY6hxuRadlhhK3$J6Sg== #=zEGNITkBiqa_y)

KB

The last one "Invalid Data" I just rescanned and the data I had entered showed up fine.
It was just a few albums that I entered number of tracks on, seemed alright, closed MusicBee, reopened and got the message.
Checked and the number of tracks was missing.
Rescanned and all ok.

Steven

• Administrator
It looks like you are randomly running out of memory. It could be a corrupt file or artwork, or perhaps you have a large collection with a lot of metadata (especially comments or embedded lyrics). If its the last then you will need to use editbin to increase the memory available.

KB

Thanks Steven,

so my post should have read 11TB (Not GB) of files in MusicBee.

I am running up to date Windows 10 Pro, have no other music player or any new apps that conflict.
The only one I have added in ages is EAC to rip a couple of new CD's. So everything the same except extra songs.

It is of course possible there is a corrupt file or artwork in there somewhere but no idea how I would ever find it.

When I do the "editbin" and type "cmd.exe" in Explorer MusicBee and load "editbin /LARGEADDRESSAWARE MusicBee.exe" press enter, I get: "EDITBIN : error : cannot execute LINK.EXE; errno = 2 (2)".

I would like to try and get the memory up to 4GB and see if this is a fix.

Anyone know why I am not getting the correct result? Thanks in advance and sorry if I am being a bit of a pest.

Another thought would be could I uninstall MusicBee, download the latest version, reload everything?
Would all the art etc. still be in place?
I have no missing album covers,and all track names etc.
Labour of love.

Steven

• Administrator

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
I am running up to date Windows 10 Pro

When I do the "editbin" and type "cmd.exe" in Explorer MusicBee and load "editbin /LARGEADDRESSAWARE MusicBee.exe"

You need to run the command prompt as an Administrator.
Don't type "cmd.exe" in file explorer address bar.
Instead, click 'File'> Open Windows Power Shell> Open Windows Power Shell as administrator
then you can do the rest
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together