Author Topic: Change "natural order" of auto playlists?  (Read 1109 times)

jcoc

My problem:
I like a playlist where new programmes I listen to get added. When they are listened to, they drop off.
This is normally used on my mobile phone.

They way I do it is to create an autoplaylist where the new programmes are added if they have a play count of  0 and meet other criteria.

My key issue is that I need the list to be ordered by the date added attribute.

I can do this in a view in MusicBee (so if I'm listening via my computer it works fine). But when it's sent to my mobile device it comes back to the default order which makes it impossible to use.

I have a workaround at the moment, but it's pretty ropy (basically have a static playlist, and I copy from one playlist to the other, and then sync the static list to my mobile device).

I was hoping the Selected By drop down would also sort, but it makes no difference that I can see.

Is there a way to apply a sort order to an autoplaylist that is preserved on exporting?  I haven't been able to find it in the forums?

Thanks

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What ever order your playlist is sorted in is the "natural order" for auto-playlists. You can verify this by activating the # column. I wonder if applying a custom view would help (this would be in the corner where it says "default" in your playlist settings). It may be that if you change the sort order of your default view elsewhere, it also affects this playlist.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

jcoc

But unless I'm missing something, there is no way to set the sort for an auto playlist. It just does whatever it wants (it seems to be grouping by album as far as I can see). Which means that when I'm not had time to listen much recently, I can have a whole block of episodes from the same show. When the idea is just to listen in the order they were added, which is broadly analagous to when they were published.

The behaviour I was expecting was that choosing "select by" would be used to limit the contents (in my case 10GB) but also to give them an order.  This is not what happens, and there is no place for me to say how I would like them to be ordered.

As I say - I can change the view in MusicBee so I can order from oldest to newest which is my desired behaviour.  But this has no effect on the m3u file that is exported to the mobile device.

Hence, my workaround. Create autoplaylist, then order the view by date added, and then just select the new items and send to a static playlist where they go to the end as I wish. This is not really what I want to do, but at least means I can get it working.

I was hoping I was missing something obvious, but it seems not.

jcoc

Actually - I take it back - I'm a moron!

I did exactly what you said - created the custom view and assigned my sort order to that, and assigned it in the edit playlist settings. And then it did exactly what I wanted.

I just was misunderstanding when the view was applied.

Thanks for the help - that sorts out my problem perfectly!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Great, glad it worked!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)