Author Topic: Enhanced Genre hierarchy list  (Read 6601 times)

hiccup

You can easily inspect API calls in your browser developer tools 😉

Not if your talents and capabilities on that are not in your toolbox. ;-)

hiccup

Updated

- added new genres, including the ones that were recently added to the databases of MusicBrainz and RateYourMusic.
- the 'genre grouping' list (for Preferences > Tags (2) > group genres) was updated accordingly.
- fixed an error where for some cases the 'Subgenre tagger' would suggest subgenres belonging to a different main genre.
- some small tweaks and refinements

I managed to combine the (previously separate)  'Enhanced genre hierarchy' and 'Subgenre tagger' files into one file.
So that eliminates the need to switch between the two for either browsing or tagging purposes.
The new file is named 'Enhanced genre hierarchy and subgenre tagger' and can be found using the download link in the startpost.

It will look like this:

The 'Genre browser' node is the one to use.
The 'subgenre helper' node only has a functional purpose and should not be used for browsing.

Note that the 'subgenre' feature only serves a purpose for those users that are using a custom 'Subgenre' tag.
Its intended use is explained in post #2.

Testers are welcome!
I did test it myself for a while, but it's very easy to make a mistake in lists like these and perhaps overlook something.
Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:01:53 PM by hiccup

hiccup

For those interested in testing and providing some feedback:

I am especially interested if there are genres missing from the hierarchy file that should be added.

One way of checking if your library contains unrecognised genres is this:

If you see entries under 'No tag hierarchy for' that you believe are credible genres you could post a screenshot of that part of the panel, or just list the genres.
With credible I mean that they have been sourced from credible sources such as Discogs, MusicBrainz, et al., or are mentioned on at least 2 'serious' music-related websites.
I am not interested in entries such as 'American pop', 'Beautiful music', 'Pop/Funk/Hip-hop', 'Atmospheric blackened melodic death doom trash metal', etc.

hiccup

Updated

- added some more genres and fixed some minor flaws
- made improvements on the Classical department, especially regarding 'period'.
  (details on that are at the end of the start post)

hiccup

Updated

I was never very satisfied with how Latin, Mexican and South American music turned out in this hierarchy.
After looking at it with some fresh eyes (and ears), I have made some big changes to the related genres and their positions in the sheet.
Quite a few genres were added (most Brazilian and Cuban), and a new category named 'Latin American and Caribbean' was created under 'World'.

An impression:

The idea is to have the more traditional Latin music under 'Latin', and everything else with strong Latin influences or roots from the regions: Central America, Caribbean, South America under 'Latin American and Caribbean'

As always, the sheet is subjective and is constructed to my personal preferences.
I hope this is the last update for a while…
Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 10:15:25 PM by hiccup

hiccup

A remark:

If you use the enhanced genre grouping file to replace the default genre grouping under Tags (2) > group genres, be sure to update to at least MB 3.4.7770 patch version.
Due to a limitation in earlier MB 3.4 versions, genres starting with the letters U–Z would not get grouped.