Author Topic: Enhanced Genre hierarchy list  (Read 2395 times)

hiccup

This is a genre hierarchy list that can be added to MusicBee as a replacement for the genre hierarchy that it uses by default.
(note: this is relevant for MusicBee 3.4 beta only, see the bottom of this post)

This 'enhanced' version has the same basic concept and idea, which is:

It contains all genres, and all variations on their names as are present in the genre databases of MusicBrainz and Discogs, and a few from Wikidata.
That means that if you use MusicBee's auto-tag function, or other tagging software such as Picard or mp3tag, those genres will be matched and categorised.

There are two differences between the default one and this enhanced version:

MusicBee's default genre hierarchy list is flat and basic.
Which makes it easy to navigate and quickly see all music in a selected main category without the need to consider deeper navigation or having subdivisions that could be considered too subjective or biassed.

It will look like this:

This enhanced version has 2nd level subdivisions for most main genres, and a 3rd for some. It can look like this:

For this enhanced version I will not keep the genres limited to what is on MusicBrainz and Discogs, but I will be adding new genres and possibly new categories that I consider useful and sensible.

Suggestions on those are welcome, I will add them if I agree with them.
(I already added some additional Metal genres and the Metalcore category after good suggestions from smann)

download Enhanced genre hierarchy list

howto:
- extract the downloaded rar file.
- put the Enhanced genre hierarchy.txt file in the folder:  MusicBee> AppData> TagHierarchyTemplates
  (note: this folder will have been created by MusicBee only after you have enabled the Tag Hierarchy Explorer panel at least once)
- (re)start MusicBee
- click the header of the Tag Hierarchy Browser panel to select the Enhanced genre hierarchy.

Optional addition: Genre grouping text file

In the download link you will also find a text file named 'Genre category grouping'.
It is updated to contain all the genres that are used in the enhanced genre hierarchy file, and can be added to MusicBee so that MusicBee's Genre Categories matches these 'Enhanced Genres'.

howto:
Preferences > Tags (2) > Group genres > Categorise
Then paste the contents of the text file into the genre categorisation editor panel.

– – – – – –
NOTE:
This tag hierarchy feature is only available for MusicBee 3.4, which is currently in beta testing phase and not yet officially released.

– – – – – –

Please also note:

This topic is about the 'Enhanced Genre Hierarchy list' I created to be optionally used in MusicBee's Tag Hierarchy Explorer panel.
If you have questions or issues with MusicBee's Tag Hierarchy Explorer itself, please go here:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=32556.0
Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 04:04:27 PM by hiccup

hiccup

An additional tool that can complement the Enhanced Genre Hierarchy browser:

Subgenre Tagger

This is a tool intended to be helpful when you are using a custom Subgenre tag to complement the default Genre tag.
It will suggest relevant subgenres for music that already contains a 'main' genre tag.

The idea behind it is that you are using the Genre tag for more broad and generic genre names, and an additional (custom) Subgenre tag for refining them.

The taxonomy of this Subgenre Tagger is identical to the Enhanced Genre Hierarchy browser.
So if you use this Subgenre Tagger to write your subgenres, your music will be categorised and displayed correctly when using (switching to) the Enhanced Genre Hierarchy browser.

Howto:

Make sure you have a created a custom Subgenre tag.
Download the file using the link in the startpost.
Extract it, and copy the Subgenre tagger.txt file to your MusicBee>AppData>TagHierarchyTemplates folder.

In MusicBee, enable the Tag Hierarchy Explorer panel (Arrange Panels> Panels Configuration)
Click it's header, select 'Subgenre tagger'.
Enable the Vertical Tag Editor panel in the same way.

Now when you are editing a file that contains a known main genre in the Genre tag, you will see a drop-down menu for the Subgenre tag that will show subgenres relevant to that main genre.

These are the main genres that will get proposals for subgenres:

Some examples for Classical, Jazz, Electronic:

Update 1.200821 has improved subgenre suggestions for 'Metal':

Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 04:10:07 PM by hiccup

Mr. Trev

Very nice. Thanks.

Although it may mean more work for me (being more specific with tags) since all my stuff is using fairly generic genre tags - mostly to keep my portable devices from getting confused ;)

hiccup

Very nice. Thanks.
Although it may mean more work for me (being more specific with tags) since all my stuff is using fairly generic genre tags - mostly to keep my portable devices from getting confused ;)

Thank you Mr. Trev.
It can indeed be an incentive to waste more time on your hobby ;-)

But this is also intended as a potential time saver.
If you use auto-tagging, and the tags source providers supply good quality genre tags… , it should save time and make navigating and exploring your library better and easier.

For now sourced genre tags are often disappointing, but I do see some improvements and progress being made here and there.
I am convinced in the long run it will get better and better, and the need for manual tagging will become less and less.

So MusicBee will then be just a little bit ahead of the game ;-)

Mr. Trev

Indeed, the rub has always been trying to find a place where the genre tags match up with my ideal.

How well does MB handle keeping the genre tag as database only - if even possible?

I've been thinking of maybe creating a copy of MB (gotta love the portable version) and using that to experiment with. I was thinking of using what Musicbrainz Picard picks (maybe using the last.fm plugin) and see what happens. If there isn't any issue with keeping the genre changes just saved to the database (not written to the actual files) it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I end with with a total mess - I'd just restore my backup.
If it actually works out OK, then I'd commit to writing the tags to the files.
The other thing for me to consider is it's going to affect my DAPhile server and how to deal with syncing to my devices (eg. I don't need my jazz tunes broken down to hard bop, 3rd stream, etc. Blanket jazz is good enough for that)

Sorry for going a bit OT,
Cheers
Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:01:54 AM by Mr. Trev

Adson

hiccup, thank you very much for sharing this useful genre list enhancement with us.

I often had problems setting the appropiate (difficult word for Germans ;-) ) genre for my music files.
There are so many different flavours and subdivisions in a lot of the general genres.

I am looking forward to try your plugin this evening on my home computer.

hiccup

hiccup, thank you very much for sharing this useful genre list enhancement with us.
I am looking forward to try your plugin this evening on my home computer.

You're welcome Adson.
Please also check post #2.
It describes another tool I have just added that can be useful if you use a custom Subgenre tag additional to the generic Genre tag.
(and I updated the Enhanced Genre Hierarchy browser file too)

Please feel free to give any feedback on your experiences. This is all still under development, and fresh eyes and input will be useful in ironing out flaws and improving things.

Mr. Trev

I'm not sure how I missed the subgenre tag tool, but thanks again.

This possibly could work great for me. I haven't setup a subgenre tag yet, but I could use a script to copy Picard's genre tag to the subgenre tag instead. IIRC, Picard was using more specific tags for genre than I was using, which would be perfect for my subgenres.

hiccup

I'm not sure how I missed the subgenre tag tool…

You didn't miss it, I only created and added it today ;-)

Mr. Trev

I'm not sure how I missed the subgenre tag tool…

You didn't miss it, I only created and added it today ;-)

Sweet, I'm not completely losing my mind.

Is it safe to edit your txt files? Just for the sake of personalization of course - I'm lazy so all my "Heavy Metal" tracks are tagged as just "Metal". Seems like it'd be easier to change your list rather than all my files.

Cheers

hiccup

Is it safe to edit your txt files? Just for the sake of personalization of course - I'm lazy so all my "Heavy Metal" tracks are tagged as just "Metal". Seems like it'd be easier to change your list rather than all my files.

Changing the name of categories, or changing what genres go where shouldn't be a problem.
I wouldn't change the genre names, since they are as they are named in the databases of MusicBrainz and Discogs.
But you could add your own of course.

It's good that you raise the subject. A quick websearch shows there are some different opinions about what is metal and what is heavy metal.
Wikipedia says they are the same and interchangeable, but I think that is incorrect.
I will probably be making some changes in the hardware department…

Steven

• Administrator
@hiccup, the installation instructions above are slightly out of date

Mr. Trev

Changing the name of categories, or changing what genres go where shouldn't be a problem.
I wouldn't change the genre names, since they are as they are named in the databases of MusicBrainz and Discogs.
But you could add your own of course.

It's good that you raise the subject. A quick websearch shows there are some different opinions about what is metal and what is heavy metal.
Wikipedia says they are the same and interchangeable, but I think that is incorrect.
I will probably be making some changes in the hardware department%u2026

Ah, makes sense. I suppose that'd be the best way to go about it (using Musicbrainz/Discogs as a reference)
On the other hand, I'm going to have to agree with Wikipedia that "Metal" and "Heavy Metal" are the same - the joys of subjective taste.

A couple quick install questions too:
If I toss both the "tag hierarchy" and "enhanced tag hierarchy" into the correct folder, which one takes priority? Should I even have both? <nevermind, I just noticed there's only the enhanced version now. maybe this is what Steven is referring to>
Second, regarding the "subgenre" tool: I/we have to manually create the MusicBee>AppData>TagHierarchyTemplates folder, correct? Or should it be auto-created, which in my case didn't happen.
Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:38:54 AM by Mr. Trev

hiccup

@hiccup, the installation instructions above are slightly out of date
That's fixed.

hiccup

On the other hand, I'm going to have to agree with Wikipedia that "Metal" and "Heavy Metal" are the same - the joys of subjective taste.

Yeah, I think (at least these days) it would be best to consider Metal just as an abbreviation of Heavy Metal.
But some will disagree:
(https://ironskullet.com/2017/10/30/the-history-of-heavy-metal-part-i-the-difference-between-metal-and-heavy-metal/)
And even some sites that are valuable sources on genre matters are not that clear about it:
If you read the description on Metal here: https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/metal they use both names interchangeably.
But when you look at the hierarchy list on the right, they have put Heavy Metal under Metal.

Not a biggie though, I'll probably just rename the Heavy Metal category to Metal and the 'issue' will be solved.

A couple quick install questions too:…

I edited the 'howto' to match the current implementation.
That probably cleared things up?