Author Topic: Invisible Album Art can't be removed and causes error  (Read 1939 times)

Capt_Blakhelm

Hello,

I found a strange issue where a specific album my music displays an invisible object taking up space before the album art in the Track Information panel.

The album in question is the Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls Soundtrack. I doubt the album itself it the problem (IT'S CURSED!, lol) but so far, it is the only selection of tracks exhibiting this problem.

I was customizing my panels in the preferences and found that there is a large gap under the track info and before the actual image I want to use as the album art. It LOOKS like Musicbee is somehow finding/generating another image as an album cover and trying to display it. Hovering my mouse over this "gap" says it is an image, but I don't have any other image files in the folder but one cover.jpg to cause this. I've compared this file to other music files in my library and they don't have this issue despite having the same settings under the "Artwork" tab in the Edit Panel

https://imgur.com/qCTRkck

I can remove the artwork and it goes back to only displaying one square saying "No Album Art" but the moment I reassign art to it, it acts as if there are two images to be displayed again.

This error doesn't affect playback or usability of Musicbee at all. In fact, when I get a pop-up of a new track playing in taskbar, the correct cover appears just fine. It's just a strange, nagging annoyance when viewing the track in fullscreen MusicBee.

As part of my troubleshooting on a previous version of MB, I changed the name of cover.jpg, which caused MB not to be able to find artwork. Unchecking the "Primary picture" checkbox under the image caused the error below. I updated my MB to 3.3.7491, but I still have the invisible image bug

MusicBee v3.3.7165.34284 (Win10.0), 30 Jul 2020 0:43:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at #=zQK2gn$ayPzjVqwLPj$rhNW0=.#=ztpRhkPyKKydqsfsMug==(Object #=zySAfqQw=, EventArgs #=z2hFhQMw=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at #=zM2VGjI5pgr6zMo8nS7cXJSmVMU7U.OnClick(EventArgs #=z2hFhQMw=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Steven

• Administrator
The location that MB is retrieving the image from can be found by clicking the Save To button in the Artwork tab of the tag editor.
I expect its a corrupted image. If you send me a link to the file i will have a look and if its embedded in the music file then send the music file

Capt_Blakhelm

The location that MB is retrieving the image from can be found by clicking the Save To button in the Artwork tab of the tag editor.
I expect its a corrupted image. If you send me a link to the file i will have a look and if its embedded in the music file then send the music file

That is where it gets weird, because the Tag editor only shows one file.

https://imgur.com/a/EgOQ6i1

There's no other file for it to reference. I do wonder if it has something to do with the local library and not the files themselves

Here's one of the affected tracks
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sz53q0y1rmi1btk/2%20-%20Grimoire%20of%20Souls.wav?dl=0

sveakul

This wav file has both an ID3v2.3 tag (with an album art frame ) and a RIFF INFO tag.  My guess is MusicBee is being confused by this.  If you delete the RIFF tag with an external tagger like Kid3 or Mp3tag and then rescan the file, does that stop the problem?  I don't know if MusicBee even supports RIFF.
Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:51:52 PM by sveakul

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Tangent, but what MusicBee supports for WAV files is described here: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Tagging#Tag_Editor
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
update your MB version to the latest from the downloads page as there were some fixes for wav files. You might also need to rescan the file using the new version (right click/ send to/ rescan file)

Capt_Blakhelm

I already have 3.3.7491, or do you mean the beta from Psycoadept's signature.

The album is actually a mix of .wav and .mp3 files, and the invisible image appears on those as well. But I can look into editing the tags externally, that is probably the problem.

This wav file has both an ID3v2.3 tag (with an album art frame ) and a RIFF INFO tag.  My guess is MusicBee is being confused by this.  If you delete the RIFF tag with an external tagger like Kid3 or Mp3tag and then rescan the file, does that stop the problem?  I don't know if MusicBee even supports RIFF.

Some interesting developments:
I made a copy of the .wav
I put the .wav in MP3tag and removed all the tag, thus removing RIFF data
Loaded the .wav in Musicbee and of course, MB seeing no tags, had no info for the file
I added the cover image ONLY in Musicbee and it added the invisible image again on top of the original image.
I deleted all tags/artwork in MP3 images again, and then only added artwork in MP3tag, the invisible image + 2nd full image appeared again.

Somehow in my tag editing of this copy, it generated a title and artist tag, probably from some auto-tag feature.

Lots of messing around later, cleared all tags in musicbee and Mp3tag, turned off auto-tagging, added artwork to file and THEN musicbee DOESN'T see the added artwork.

Just to confirm, I did go into the image in an independent image viewer and verified the image itself doesn't have a big empty spot above it.

My layman's conclusion: Something with the way MB saves data in my personal library is where its getting/adding information from....maybe....that wouldn't explain why the blank image  appeared when only adding one image.

I went into MediaMonkey as well. It doesn't recognize image files in .wav files, but does in MP3. Both my copy of the wav file with and without the artwork look the same in MediaMonkey.

Anyways, I've done everything I can to fix it. It's not a big enough issue for me to be mad about, just mildly annoying. If you have any suggestions, let me know.
Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:46:07 PM by Capt_Blakhelm

sveakul

Man I'm sorry but this is just too much for me (maybe not others) to follow at this point.  The only thing I can add is if you tried, after being sure all auto-tagging was OFF, hitting Tools->Advanced->Reset Artwork cache.  Also be sure that the priorities in the Album Artwork Retrieval Filter are set the way you actually want them, and that you then hit the Rescan Artwork button there.  FWIW, the only external tagger I've seen that would have allowed you to delete/edit ONLY the RIFF INFO tags and leave the ID3v2.3 one alone is Kid3.  But if you deleted "all tags" in Mp3tag, that should have been a good starting point also.  "Me mind's a blank" too at this point.  Wav's were never the friendliest file type for tags anyhow, you may want to consider converting them to FLAC files instead which would make things a lot easier.

Capt_Blakhelm

Man I'm sorry but this is just too much for me (maybe not others) to follow at this point.  The only thing I can add is if you tried, after being sure all auto-tagging was OFF, hitting Tools->Advanced->Reset Artwork cache.  Also be sure that the priorities in the Album Artwork Retrieval Filter are set the way you actually want them, and that you then hit the Rescan Artwork button there.  FWIW, the only external tagger I've seen that would have allowed you to delete/edit ONLY the RIFF INFO tags and leave the ID3v2.3 one alone is Kid3.  But if you deleted "all tags" in Mp3tag, that should have been a good starting point also.  "Me mind's a blank" too at this point.  Wav's were never the friendliest file type for tags anyhow, you may want to consider converting them to FLAC files instead which would make things a lot easier.

Good point. Not much of my collection are wav files. This specific album is a mix a both. I don't know why exactly, but I guess it is because whomever ripped it didn't know what they were doing, or got the files from multiple sources. Converting them will probably fix the problem as a by product, but it is still weird how MB is handling them.