Author Topic: Keeping up to date with 'patch files'  (Read 1198 times)

stevie02222

I like to try and keep MusicBee as up to date as possible and there are a usually a variety of 'patched' updates on the forum at any one time to solve issues which are usually present in the version I'm running but may not have actually experienced yet.

Having the latest patch link in the Moderators signature section is a great idea!

However, would it be possible to have the file date/time of the 'latest' issue against the link in their signature?

I've found myself downloading the same patch a few times because although I've seen an update mentioned in a post it hasn't necessarily been added to their download pool yet. Additionally, I don't necessarily look at every post on the forum to be able to get the patched version from that source.

Hopefully this idea wouldn't be too great an encumbrance on the moderators.

phred

• Global Moderator
Hopefully this idea wouldn't be too great an encumbrance on the moderators.
While I understand what you're saying, changing our sigs every time Steven issues a patch is not feasible. We would have to download the patch, check the version number, and then modify our sig. Only to find out that there's a new patch a few hours (or days) later. We're not here 24/7. Personally I don't download every patch that's issued. I don't speak for psychoadept (the other moderator) but what you're suggesting isn't worth my time.

In addition the sig only allows a limited number of characters.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

We would have to download the patch, check the version number, and then modify our sig.

Maybe an option could be to replace the direct download link in the sig with one that leads to the directory of the patches.
Then a user can first check the date and see if it is worth downloading.

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/

stevie02222

I understand what you're saying phred. I was just looking for a consistent way that I or anyone could access the latest patch without having to trawl through every post on a 'just in case' basis.
However, I think hiccup has the answer!!! If the signature link led to the directory of patches that would mean the moderator never needed to amend their tag line.

Alternatively, could't there be a 'sticky' post alongside the 'Latest Version' one that just points to the patch directory so the world-and-his-wife would be able to access the update without problem?

Personally, I was unaware of a publicly accessible location for patched updates but having just accessed it, it works perfectly.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Alternatively, could't there be a 'sticky' post alongside the 'Latest Version' one that just points to the patch directory so the world-and-his-wife would be able to access the update without problem?

I keep the latest patch link up-to-date ok the wiki: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Latest_Update?mobile-app=false
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)