Author Topic: On-the-fly convert to MP3. Can I convert flac tags to mp3 as well?  (Read 1037 times)

JRTinz

• Sleezy Low Life Biker Trash
All:

I have a small mp3 player I like to use working in the yard, etc.  Just don't like banging around my DAC which has my entire library on it.  My library is entirely flac.

Very useful is the convert on the fly to mp3 for this.  Yank out 8Gb of random tunes and I'm good to go.  The only problem is the mp3 player only recognizes mp3 tags.  It plays the music all right, but displays "unknown artist/album/etc."  No album art either.  An old Sansa Fuse, BTW.  Discontinued, no firmware updates.  But I like the little sucker! 

Not a big deal, but it would be nice to have that info present.

I am certain I can add the tags to my entire library with some tool.  However I wonder if I can have both mp3 and flac tags on all the tracks.

I *have* surfed for the answer before posting but have yet to find anyone that uses both tag formats.

Is this a "wishlist" item?

-jrtinz

hiccup

An old Sansa Fuse, BTW.  Discontinued, no firmware updates.  But I like the little sucker!

You should ;-)

Perhaps this could be a solution:
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaFuze#Current_Status

frankz

On-the-fly conversion will convert "Vorbis Comments" (FLAC tags) to your ID3 tags (MP3 Tags) of choice (Edit->Edit Preferences->Tags(1)...tag storage) upon conversion.  I just verified with a file that's in FLAC on my computer and was on-the-fly converted to MP3 on my phone.

You can either embed the artwork or store it per folder on conversion, too.  There's also a setting for "force ID3 v2.3 tags for saving mp3 files" in device settings.  Not sure how that relates, and I don't have it checked.

Zak

• Global Moderator
The original Sansa Fuze with the wheel was the best, before mobile phones took over everything.  :-\

If the MP3 tags continue to give you problems (although they should work), you could try converting to OGG instead.
They use the same tags as FLAC so might have less issues.
Bee excellent to each other...