Author Topic: Specific files don't play in MusicBee, and I can't figure out why  (Read 2142 times)

Phaedrus

I've tried a few things, and I'm out of ideas. Looking for some troubleshooting direction

Files are all MP3 320K. When I try to play, I get a very short burst of the first note, then nothing and playback stops. I cannot seek to any portion of the file. The time reported appears to be at least close to accurate.

* These files all play with no issues in a couple of other players
* MP3 Diags 1.02.3 reported problems with a tag stream, stripped out the offending string.
* Audio Tester 1.7 reports all files passed.
* All of my other tools are focused on tags, or FLAC, but they have no issues either
* Converted from MP3 to MP3
* Checked that all files are listed as "Not Hidden" and that everyone has Modify access to the files
* Was able to Volume level entire folder with no errors
* Discovered more, and all appear to be from the same source
* Tried different output devices and settings.
* Files that work, continue to work, Files that don't, continue to don't

Suspect some issue with encoding, but I have run out of tests, or potential solutions.
Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:52:05 PM by psychoadept
Dell Inspiron, i5, 16GB, 256GBSSD
Windows 11 Preview
MusicBee 3.5.8447, standard install on C:\
Library on External drive;
293,621 Tracks, 18,393 Albums, 4461.93GB, 850d 12:20

Topping D10 32bit 384 kHz USB DAC
O2 Headphone Amplifier
beyerdynamic DT770M 80 ohm
Crossfade M-100 Master Over-Ear

Steven

• Administrator
If you send a link to a couple of the problem files I will have a quick look

Phaedrus

I would really appreciate it if you would.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vlFB3CTf4uI4vDIdMX1PQtVdDoHrWD2L?usp=sharing

I'll be curious to know what tools you use. I'm always looking for new tools.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

sveakul

These files all play fine in MusicBee 3.4.7499.

You didn't say what version of MusicBee you are using, but Steven added some handling for an issue with ID3v2.4 tags recently, which I notice all these files contain.  Try updating to the latest version of either 3.3x or 3.4x from the download page or the first topic in the Forum respectively, then apply the appropriate update patch from the sig files of forum Moderators phred or psychoadept.

Phaedrus

I updated to 3.3.7491 when I first noticed the issue, and I have now upgraded to 3.3.7499. (I forgot about the latest versions in the forum, and went to the download page for update.)

* I have some other files that are tagged at ID3v2.4, and they play.
* I stripped out ALL tags from the suspect files, and MusicBee has no problems with it.
* I'll play around with the files to see if I can find anything specifc, but in the meantime, I'll probably just re-encode the tags to 2.3 or something. (They aren't part of my core listening library, just some files I use for background noise)

I'll upgrade to 3.4 in a while. I'm not ready emotionally to jump in on the ground floor of a new version.

I always love that I get better support from a free software package than the multi-thousand dollar software I support at work.
Seriously, Thank you. All the love.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'll upgrade to 3.4 in a while. I'm not ready emotionally to jump in on the ground floor of a new version.

3.4 has been in development in parallel with 3.3 for a long time. Except for the specific changes Steven lists here, they're essentially the same.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Phaedrus

No sarcasm;

If Psychoadept says it's OK, I'll do it tomorrow.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

sveakul

Since they all played fine for me with the existing tags, I'm not sure why your experience is different, but I also encourage you to update to 3.4.  It was phred that told me it was OK, so that's two out of two Moderators, haha..  Never looked back, works great.

As a general rule, be sure to whitelist all MusicBee folders and your music storage folders in any antivrus you may be using, and get rid of Windows Media Player if you can which likes to mess with things in the background.

Steven

• Administrator

frankz

I'm not a big deal like psychoadept or phred, but I will concur that the transition from 3.3 to 3.4 was painless.

hiccup

I updated to 3.3.7491 when I first noticed the issue, and I have now upgraded to 3.3.7499. (I forgot about the latest versions in the forum, and went to the download page for update.)

F.w.i.w., I just played them on v2.5 (c. 4 yrs old)
No issues at all.
Maybe this helps in possibly narrowing down why they pose a problem on your system.

Phaedrus

After much experimentation, I finally found the culprit, and fixed another problem I didn't know I had along the way. The problem was the SkipOverSong plugin. This was causing my Error log to fill up because it was triggering errors every time I started playing a file, or playlist. It was also causing problems with plugins. Removing / configuring plugins did not work consistently, but it worked well enough. I mostly only use the Tagging Tools Plugin, and that was flawless so I didn't care as much as I should have.

* I ran the installer for 3.3.7491, after deleting the offending Dll. This got me to functional in 3.3, and no more errors.
* I ran the update to 3.4.7499, and everything is still fine.

In my Post mortem, I remembered that I had done a restore from local backups a while ago, and according to the errorlog, that was about where my troubles started. If I got popups or errors, I ignored them because everything seemed to be working other than the popups. I just kept rolling with it. All errors should have been resolved, or verified benign.

I had focused on the files as the source of the problem, and kept running into dead ends. Once the Player was identified as the issue, It was easy to find the cause, and implement a solution. Good troubleshooting includes making sure you are trying to solve the correct problem. I got caught with my blinders on again.

I'm not a big deal like psychoadept or phred, but I will concur that the transition from 3.3 to 3.4 was painless.

Nonsense, you're a big deal too. Psychoadept and I just have some history. I don't know exactly what it is, but I know it was positive. I think I remember them leading me away from media monkey.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier