Author Topic: Naming Convention For Multiple Disc Albums  (Read 3165 times)

mm

Just wondering what naming convention is generally used for albums that span more than one disc?

vincent kars

I use the same name for Album
Use Disc# 1,2,3, etc to have them sorted correctly

mm

So your double album would have 2 folders named 'Artist/Album Name (Disc 1)' & 'Artist/Album Name (Disc 2)'?

If so, I thought there may have been a way to keep both discs in a single folder that it shows as one album in the Musicbee library.

phred

• Global Moderator
If you use Album Name Disk 1 and Album Name Disk 2 MB will show it as two different albums.

Use the same Album Name for each disk and use the DISK # tag to identify each disk of the set.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

vincent kars

What you see in the interface is different from the file structure.
In principle it is not related to the folder structure at all.
In the interface tracks are considered to be an album if the “Album” and the “Album Artist” are the same. That is the default and a very common convention.
If you think of titles like “Their greatest Hits” or “Beethoven symphony no.5” you understand why.

As MusicBee is very flexible, in Preferences > Sorting > Grouping you can change this.
You might even decide to use the Folder as a grouping criteria but I do think using tags instead of a folder structure is the way to go.

My preferences is to keep the tracks of a CD or download  together in one folder.
Hence I have
AlbumXXX\CD1\
AlbumXXX\CD2\

Within each folder each track (filename) is prefixed with the track
01-title a
02-title b
I do so because sometimes a track is missing.
If this is due to wrong tagging, having all the tracks in 1 folder and having them sorted by track number makes it easy to locate this missing track physically and re-tag.

Having the above mentioned folder structure, you still can display a multi disc set as one by using the tags as the criteria for grouping.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ditto everything vincent kars says. If you want your tracks in one folder, just use Album in your banking template and Disc-Track# in the file name.

You may find this page helpful: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/File_Organization
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)