Author Topic: Windows border anomaly?  (Read 4203 times)

fred

I'm trying to get a solid colour (green) 1px border around the Edit Preferences, Tag Editor, ... windows. When I open the Edit Preferences window I have a solid border the top but the sides & bottom are whitish-green because outside the single pixel of green is a 1px border of white:

If I click outside the windows thereby de-activating it I get a solid green boundary:

If however I set the width to 4px I get a solid green boundary whether inside or outside the window.

The same thing happens with the Sample Skin (screenshots taken using magnifier):
Window Active :  Window Inactive:  

Is this expected behaviour? Is there anything that I can do to reverse his so that active window has a solid boundary?

Steven

• Administrator
Unfortunately i have never been able to find a solution that properly works with windows 10 borders where the caption bar is skinned, particularly for single px border - its really some hacks that work well enough for most cases.
If you send me a link to your skin i will have a look and see if anything can be done

fred

Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 07:17:28 AM by fred

Steven

• Administrator
can you just send the resulting skin file?

Steven

• Administrator
I am not seeing any issues but as a guess, perhaps you have a high dpi monitor? Do you know what dpi scaling windows is configured to use?

fred

My monitor is 27" 3840x2160 @150% scaling but I don't believe this is the problem. I tested some of the skins released with MB (I'm using the 3.4 beta). Arsenic and the Dark Metro series have as far as I can tell solid 2px borders and using the magnifier there is no differences visible on the border whether you click in the window or out of it. With MusicBee3 skin there is a 1px white border line when you click in the window and  a 1px black when you click outside but this is barely visible to the naked eye, you can only see it using the magnifier - I suspect this is because of the overall colour palette of the skin. So there must be a way to achieve what I wan't but I'm at a loss to know where to look....

Steven

• Administrator

fred

Steven

• Administrator

fred

Thanks for your time spent looking at this - I've decided to go for a 4px border which works

fred

I've since found a hack of a sort -  on FormBorderTop put green on top pixel(s) row, then create 3  4x4 images and put a single line of pixels on the right, left and bottom of each image. This creates a single pixel border but as the images below show it is not a perfect rectangle - right & left borders seem to be 1 pixel adrift and the side borders extend 1 or 2 pixels too far. It's liveable with.